SOLVED

Excel: Colored cell border

Copper Contributor

I have an invoice form that for some reason, unknown to me, has a bottom cell border that is red and I can not find a way to change it back to black. I'm sure I "fat fingered" something at some point, but I can't seem to undo it. Here's a screenshot.

Red border.JPG

Any help would be appreciated

6 Replies

@garyw581 

Hi,

Select the range where you want to set the border Color and /Or weight.
Open the Format Cell dialog box CTRL +1
Click on the fourth tab "Border"

On this Tab: 

1. select the border Style
  2. Select the color from a color palette
  3. Specify where to add the border by example , or
  4. Click to add the border in the preview area
  5. Then hit ok

Borders.png

To remove existing borders you can select None

Hope that helps

Nabil Mourad

@garyw581 For some reason, I don't see a border in your screen shot. Have you tried selecting a cell with the format you want, then click the Format Painter, and apply it to the cell in question? That should reset any errant settings you might have applied.

HTH

@Smitty Smith

When the screenshot posted the red color of the line went to a grey rather than red... I've tried all the usual ways to edit cell borders with no luck. There is a small black mark at the right lower corner of the group of affected cells. It looks almost like a "left tab" formatting mark from Word. I have no idea what it is and I have no idea how to make it go away. 

Inked Red border.jpg

best response confirmed by garyw581 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
That looks like the Table fill handle. It definitely looks out of place, so select the Due upon cell, then go to Table Design > Convert to Range. If the formatting still applies, you might want to select the cells in question and go to Home > Styles > Normal.

@Smitty Smith 

That was it! Once I converted it back to a normal range then I was able to change the border back to black. Thanks so much!

@garyw581 It's always the sneaky little stuff... ;)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by garyw581 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
That looks like the Table fill handle. It definitely looks out of place, so select the Due upon cell, then go to Table Design > Convert to Range. If the formatting still applies, you might want to select the cells in question and go to Home > Styles > Normal.

View solution in original post