Errors in spreadsheet

Copper Contributor

My dates are 5 numbers and  cannot change them.

My dollar amounts will not add.  The sum formula does nothing.

How can you tell if a spreadsheet is locked?? 

It almost acts like it is .. I have switched from locked back and forth and nothing happens.

I sure liked the original excel and the current one so much..

Bill Lambing

Greenwood IN

Recovering from a stroke..

8 Replies

In order of the questions,

try right clicking on the values and pressing number format. It may give you options to modify.

Try the same thing with your dollar amounts, that may help the sum formula work more effectively

If a sheet is locked, I'm pretty sure a "lock" icon is shown next to the name of the sheet.

Are you using Excel online, or a version of 365 Excel?

Office 365 ... your suggestions did nothing .... no change

I've never encountered something like that. I wish you the best in finding a solution.

Found the comment mentioning the date function is made in numbers from 1 (Jan 1 1900) to what ever the current date is and using the Format Cells function to convert the data but it does not work. anyone with a better understanding of this please help... help.
DATE function Note: Excel stores dates as sequential serial numbers so that they can be used in calculations. January 1, 1900 is serial number 1, and January 1, 2008 is serial number 39448 because it is 39,447 days after January 1, 1900. You will need to change the number format (Format Cells) in order to display a proper date

Hi Bill,

If you haven't sorted this yet try this,

First under Excel Preferences check what Calculation options are set, see screenshot. Secondly on the review Tab there should be "Protect Sheet" and "Protect Workbook" options, if they are entitled Protect then the sheet is unprotected and Unprotect means its protected.

For your dates check that the cell isn't formatted as text.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Rich ... nothing worked .. the calls are not text.  Don't know what the answer is, but this version of excel is pretty close to worthless for me.  if I evaluate the cells I get a correct answer...?????

cells not calls ... fat fingers + stroke did it...!!