Enable copying protected sheets and keeping cell protection intact

Copper Contributor

Hi

I want to share Excel for co authoring and want to protect a sheet but keep copying sheet rights open.  But when I protect some cells of the sheets, the other users are unable to copy that sheets which is exactly I don't want.  In brief, I want other users restricted from editing the sheet formulas but should be able to copy sheets retaining the cell protection.

6 Replies
AFAIK you should be able to copy a protected sheet, perhaps you also protected the workbook?

@Jan Karel Pieterse I tried when the restricted user try to copy the sheet it will not save and gives error that it is in read only mode. I think that the excel is designed in that way only. We don't have option to exclude "copy sheet" while enabling protection.

Ehm, you now mention wanting to exclude "copy sheet" while earlier you said the opposite?
No, I said when protecting a sheet, there are options to select. I said, there is no option to deselect "copy sheets" and make it open to other users. There is nothing complicated, I just want the other users to copy my protected sheet and use it further without changing its formulas.
The reason there is no such option is that protecting a worksheet has never prevented users from copying that worksheet. I just tried on a shared workbook (that is on a workbook stored in either OneDrive or Sharepoint in Office 365) and after protecting the sheet I can still copy it. The copy of the sheet inherits the same protection.

@Crusader36 did you ever figure out a way to do this? I have the same challenge... its specific to the online version of Excel as it works when using the desktop app.