SOLVED

EXCEL - Use dynamically created string as refference to table objects

Copper Contributor

Hello there,
i was trying to dynamically create links in a column of an "addresstable" in a workbook. All the necessary information is stored in separate dedicated tables in the document.
First, i dynamically create the tablenames as strings in the "tablename_string"-column of the addresstable. And then in the next column (Link) I try to use this string in an index function in order to to retrieve the necessary information from the according tables (Table1, Table2,...).

Table_name    |    tablename_string                                |    Link
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tabelle1         |    =([@Table_name]&"[addressfield]")    |    Link1
Tabelle2         |    =([@Table_name]&"[addressfield]")    |    Link2
Tabelle3         |    =([@Table_name]&"[addressfield]")    |    Link3

Unfortunately i already fail at this step. The formula   [@Table_name]&"[addressfield]"  does create the correct tablenames, but when i try to use the strings in the following index formula as the required array component, excel will evaluate the reference as a string rather then a table object.

Now, as i'm no excel expert i'm already lost as to the question if this is merely a syntactical issue or if the problem is more profound.

I'm using Excel 2016

And I'm also no native speaker, so don't hesitate to ask whatever necessary :)

Many thanks in advance for your help...

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Ingeborg Hawighorst (MVP)
Solution

If the table string builds correctly, then you need to use the Indirect() function to turn that string into a reference. Like this

=INDEX(INDIRECT([@[tablename_string]]),2)

tableReferenceIndirect.png

Thank you very much Ingeborg. I had tried indirect before, but it wouldn't work. I now discovered i really had (unsupprisingly) a syntactic error in the formula. So, thanks for pointing me into the right direction again. :) Jan
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ingeborg Hawighorst (MVP)
Solution

If the table string builds correctly, then you need to use the Indirect() function to turn that string into a reference. Like this

=INDEX(INDIRECT([@[tablename_string]]),2)

tableReferenceIndirect.png

View solution in original post