SOLVED

Dynamics Arrays & Array Formulas in Excel Online

Brass Contributor

Anyone have any clue as to when or even if excel online (the javascript/web version of excel) will be getting dynamics arrays and array functions (especially the new ones e.g UNIQUE)?  Right now they definitely do not work in excel online for my tenant, and I cannot find any info about if they ever will.  The current behaviour when opening a document already using dynamic arrays or the new functions is very counter-intuitive and sometimes fully dysfunctional.

I want to adopt the hell out of these, but can't even gauge when/if I should.   In my opinion you should be able to open any excel document in both apps so long as they are both using only cell functions because the alternative is very confusing for average users, so this stops me from using them except for pet cases.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Myles Gallagher (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Myles Gallagher There will be no delay on Excel Online getting Dynamic Arrays. When ready for General Availability, Dynamic Arrays will go to all endpoints at roughly the same time. 

@JoeMcDaid Great to hear!  I suppose the strangeness I am experiencing has to do with me being on the "targeted" release ring.  I put myself in it within my tenant (without putting the whole tenant in the targeted ring) to test new features before they hit the general group, but maybe excel online is not in sync with my desktop apps "new features".  Not sure how the online experience schedules into the Microsoft release rings.  I notice SharePoint definitely seems to get targeted updates that other users do not have, I was expecting the office web apps to follow the same sort of schedule.  Greatly looking forwards to GA.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Myles Gallagher (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Myles Gallagher There will be no delay on Excel Online getting Dynamic Arrays. When ready for General Availability, Dynamic Arrays will go to all endpoints at roughly the same time. 

View solution in original post