Drop down formula to update multiple sets of columns based on what is selected

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Happy to join the community as I dont consider myself as an expert in excel, I have been able to get by for a while and am very interested in learning more after I ran into a problem that I couldnt figure out a solution for.

Set me set the scene

I have a set of 15 rows of individual stats for 20 different columns(players).

Every player has starting 15 starting stats across the 20 columns

I have another tab in excel that has modifier stats (plus or minus +5 to -5) for a specific rows of stats. There is 20 different modifiers. Each modifier adds or minuses from a few of the starting stat rows.

I want to be able to make a drop down that lets me select any one of the 25 different modifiers and have it show the change in stats to all 20 players.

Is that possible to do in excel? Basically I want to set it up so when I select one of the drop down modifier that it takes one specific column from the 25 different modifiers and add/minus it to the base stats for all 20 players. This is so I can see the changes across all 20 players in one view, and quickly modify them as I want to on the go. 

Really appreciate the experts help as this goes well beyond what I have been doing to this point

Thanks in advance

7 Replies
Please attach your sample Excel file, specifying therein the location of the drop-down cell and the data to be manipulated.

@Twifoo   Sorry for the delay as my internet was out at my building for almost a week. I have attached an example excel file to show what I am trying to accomplish by having a drop down (list) on one tab that updates a column on the viewing page.  My want is to be able to adjust all the numbers based on 2 columns and select what the adjustment is based on a drop down option being selected. 

@MichaelBFromBC 

Please clarify in which cells you need a formula for and explain the logic of each. 

@Twifoo 

Yes, I am sure that will make it easier to digest.

[Tab](Adding Gains) - Cell A15 is a drop down - The drop down is a list [Tab](Gains B1:P1)

[Tab](Adding Gains) - If Drop down Cell A15 has Gain 2 selected I would like [Tab](Gains) C2:C11  numbers to copy to  [Tab](Adding Gains) B2:B11 

Whenever the drop down is changed to a different "Gain 1, Gain 2, Gain 3, ect." I would like for that data to be present in that column.  

@MichaelBFromBC 

In the attached file, the formula in B2 is shown in the snapshot below: 

Dynamic Lookup.PNG

Similar to B2 and C2, the formula in D2, copied down and across the range is: 

=SUM(INDEX(StatData,ROW()-1,
MATCH(D$1,StatLabels,0)),
$B2:$C2)

Upon pressing Ctrl+F3, you will see the 4 defined named ranges, as shown in the snapshot below: 

Dynamic Lookup Names.PNG

@Twifoo   - That is incredibly helpful. I thank you very much as I learned something that I wasnt aware is possible. Really great of you to help me better understand this :)