DATA VALIDATION FORMULA

Copper Contributor

I AM USING THE FORMULA =IF(F4=M5,"MALE","FEMALE") WHERE F COLUMN IS GENDER, M5=M BUT THE FORMULA DOES NOT WORK. IM TRYING TO MAKE IT SO WHEN I INPUT M IT GIVES ME MALE AND WHEN I INPUT F IT GIVES ME FEMALE.

3 Replies

place the Data Validation on the cell that you prefer - then type on the source Male, Female

you can now have a selection.

pls see attached image.

hope you can make something out of it.

thanks..

DV-list.jpg

try:
in cell F4 =IF(M5="M","MALE","FEMALE")

Your intent is a little unclear.  If you are using that formula in Column F or Column M, you are probably getting some sort of circular reference error.  If you are using it in some other column, then the cell will display the word MALE if the values of cell F4 and M5 are the same, otherwise, it will display the word FEMALE.  If you want one cell to read MALE or FEMALE based on another cell having the letter M or F (really, anything other than M), then Mr. Kim's formula will work, just keep in mind that whatever cell you paste it in, cell M5 is the cell it's looking for the letter M.  If you are trying to get it to change based off the first letter you start to type, the Data Validation List suggestion will probably work for you.