Creating a tracker for monthly and random items

Copper Contributor

Hi folks, 

I've been asked to track a number of items, some monthly and some at random. Ideally, this would be in Excel. I'm not sure how to create a tracker like this, though. Any suggestions?

9 Replies

@walkie74 Have you taken a look at the Office Template Gallery? There may be something pre-built to suit your needs.

HTH

@walkie74  Beyond the suggestion you've already gotten, to check out existing templates in Excel (which you could do by opening Excel and then going to File....New on the menu where you should see some templates) it's hard to make any specific recommendations based on the short description you've given. "Track a number of items, some monthly and some at random" is pretty vague. Are you tracking sales volumes, service calls, problem reports? Do you just need counts of occurrences, or costs, or income per...? And so forth.

Yes, Excel can be used effectively to track.

In general, it sounds like a database could be created, or a data table against which you'd create queries or a Pivot Table.... but in order to get help you'll need to be more descriptive and more detailed.

@mathetes My company has around 84 SOPs, which I've had to go through and proofread. Out of those 84, there are roughly 10 that are considered high priority. All of the SOPs have to be evaluated; the high priority ones are to be evaluated monthly, while the others can be checked whenever something comes up. In addition, there's a local store version of these SOPs, and some of those correspond to the regular mentioned SOPs. I have to evaluate those too. 

So all that said, I need a tracker to help me keep track of what I've evaluated and when. The high priority ones are straightforward, since they'll be looked at once a month. But I need something to record that, as well as the others that aren't as regular. That's my problem. 

@walkie74  I've thrown together a quick and dirt;y start at a tracker spreadsheet for you to review. If you're not familiar with Excel, you may find it overwhelming.

There are two sheets, the first one being the skeleton of what could be your tracking records. Obviously I was just making things up. If you can, add column headings that would be meaningful for your situation.

On the second sheet I've created a few of what I call "business tables." These would be used to help provide data integrity. It's where you'd put the name or title of the SOP, its priority, who's responsible for maintaining it, etc.  There's space for a short code that identifies each SOP....

Going back to the first sheet, then, it's that SOP Code  that you'd use to start an entry on sheet one...and there are formulas that lookup the name, priority....you'd then enter a date and action or comments.

As I said, though, this is just a skeleton. You need to add some flesh. Come back with questions. And upload any revised workbook so we can be working on it together.

@mathetes Thanks, I'll try it out!

@walkie74be sure to modify it to your own actual requirements. And a next step, once you're tracking what you want / need to track, would be to create some queries that can extract summary data for reporting. That needs to wait, though, to the point where we are more confident we're collecting the information you need to collect.

@mathetes 

OK, so I added some data to the tracker you sent me. And I've got a couple of questions:

1. I can figure out how to filter the data (thanks to the filter button), but how do I display the data graphically, like in a pie chart? All I need is to be able to differentiate between priorities, and to show a percentage of work completed.

2. How do I change the values of the completion status? I keep getting an error message saying that "A user has restricted values that can be entered into this cell."

3. I've noticed that the title and Priority will autofill with the SOP#, but the other fields won't. Not sure why that is. 

Oh, and I forgot this... 

@walkie74 

To answer your questions:

1. Q I can figure out how to filter the data (thanks to the filter button), but how do I display the data graphically, like in a pie chart? All I need is to be able to differentiate between priorities, and to show a percentage of work completed.

A. Let's worry about pie charts or other graphs later. The first task here is to develop a tracking system that is tracking what needs to be tracked. The graph that summarizes current status is the tail on that dog.

2. Q. How do I change the values of the completion status? I keep getting an error message saying that "A user has restricted values that can be entered into this cell."

A. That "user" was me. I used an Excel capability called Data Validation, which you'll find under the menu Data....Validation.  You'll want to use data validation for any field like this that you'll later be using for reports; it guards against casual spelling errors and the like, as well as free-form entry.

The two small lists on the Business Table tab provide the accepted values for their respective fields. You can change them to whatever you want. You'll see I added a few beyond the "Complete" and "Incomplete"   Right now there are five entries for that validation list; if you need no more than that, you can simply change the words that are there and that will serve you well. If you want to add more, you'll need to extend the range that carries the name "Status" .... the menu to do that is Insert....Name.....Define.

3. Q. I've noticed that the title and Priority will autofill with the SOP#, but the other fields won't. Not sure why that is.

A. This is on the "Tracker" tab. Look in those cells that are autofilling: there's a VLOOKUP formula that is retrieving (looking up) the information that goes along with that SOP#. In fact, on this new version I've added the "Assigned Deadline" date as a lookup. This is to illustrate the purpose of that business table on the BusTable tab...it's to give you ONE place to enter info that basically doesn't change, so you don't need to enter it each time there's an event to track in the life of that SOP. Think of Business Tables as references that are useful for data validation (noted above in Q&A 2) and things like this, deeper descriptors of what SOP# XXX is about. The "Tracker" tab is solely for tracking key events in the life of the SOP ....i.e, here's where your basic task of tracking is done.

So going further now, how you'll use the Tracker tab is to track status changes, going from "Initiated" through various draft stages, to penultimate review, to "Completed."   I've suggested a few possible labels for those status markers, but you should change them to whatever your company actually uses. And how this could work (if it makes sense in your business context) is that each time there's a new stage reached on any given SOP, you'd enter in the yellow background fields the following:

1. SOP#  (on the basis of which Excel will lookup the next three columns)
  2. Date of the status change
  3. New status
  4. Any notes or comments

And you'd do this for each SOP each time there's a new stage in the process reached. This is what "tracking" means, I think....in that it tells you not only the current status for any given SOP, but also the history, the dates of each change, and (to the extent needed, via comments) specific issues or problems or learnings.

Take a look and see what you think. It's always subject to change, since it needs to meet your needs. This itself is still a project going through review.