Conditional Formatting changing rules

Copper Contributor

I am using Excel 2010.

When I start a new sheet for the year, this is what my Conditional Formatting Rules look like:

Example 1Example 1

By the end of the year, this is what my Conditional Formatting looks like:Example 2Example 2

Why is this happening?

5 Replies

Are you doing some copy/cut/pasting on the sheet?

Sometimes I do end up cutting rows or inserting rows.

That'd do it. I don't have a good answer for you as to how to keep it clean if you need to cut and insert rows but I believe that answers the why. 

This is from my budget spreadsheet. I have a sheet set up in the workbook that I keep with the basic formatting and information so usually it doesn't matter if the conditional formatting changes on me. Occasionally we change something to the base formatting or information during the year that makes it easier to copy the current year's sheet, clear out the information specific to that year, and make that copy my new "master" sheet. Now I at least know why it does it! Thank you.

Your welcome. Wish I had an easy answer for you. It would be possible to set up all of your conditional formatting in a VBA macro and have the ability to reset it but I can't imagine that is worth the effort required.