Coloured growth curves with Excel!

Copper Contributor

Hello, I'm new here and hope you can help me! Please, see the doc attached. That's what i want to do with excel. I already have the curves, I just need the colours! I've tried with the stacked area graph but doesn't seem to work.. Help please!

Thank you

Maite

11 Replies

Hia,

which bit isn't working? You can select the colour of a series by selecting it and then formatting the data series.

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I know how to change the colours of the lines, what I want is to have colours between the lines, like in the doc attached.

in a stacked area graph that would be the fill colour.. if you dont see any colour at all is the fill turned off? or have you acidently used a stacked line graph?

Any chance you can share your workbook to look at?

I do see colours when i use stacked area, but all over the graph. Attached is the data and graph. Any idea?

Hia,

i've tried to fix it. your graphs scatter all scatter graphs. I've rearanged your data a bit so you might want to check that, or just redo the whole thing your self, but they weren't area charts which was the problem..

The problem is the Y axis.. it has to go from 45 to 110. RED should go under SDneg3, YELLOW between SDneg2 and SDneg3, GREEN between SD2 and SDneg2.

Take a look at sheet 2 in the workbook attached, I did that with shadows, but that's how it should looke (more or less) with the proper colors.

Hia

try the attached I think that gets you close to what you want.. you will have to look at the colours you want for the stacks and also add your June data set back in.

You will see that I've created some extra columns to calculate the size of the stacked area charts, and then plotted a line graph on top. You should be able to edit the colours of the various stacks to give you the effect you need. (I think)

Philip, you're a genius! Thank you so much!

Now I just need to figure out how you did it.. I get the stacked areas, but still some problems with the rest, and then of course how to add the June data. I did it but the dots are not in the right place.. I'll try anyway.

Thanks again!

haha, i'll try to explain.. its good that its close though.

For the 'colours' I have used a stacked area chart. Because they will be on top of each other, 'stacked', you need the difference between the various series. So if the first series is 45 and the second is 50. Your stacked area chart needs to plot 45 and then 5.

Then I've added the original numbers that you had as a line graph. Which I've edited a bit to make all the lines black and a bit thicker. The overall result is the black lines of the line graph and the colours between them of the stacked area chart.

Finally, if you want to add the june data, you need to rearrange that data so your data points are in the 'right place' in the table. What I mean is that all your data is in a 1000 row table, you need to move the data from June to right row in the table. Then plot that rearranged column on the chart as a scatter graph.

I did it! Take a look (sheet 3). Thank you so much :)

:) that's great! Glad we worked it out.