SOLVED

Colour code for formula Max(number1, numbr2)

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to find a way where I can possibly assign colours to each of the numbers used in MAX formula hence the value will be coloured accordingly. for example in formula MAX(number1, number2)

I want to have number1=red and number2=green so Max(20,8) will show 20 in red and vice-versa.

Thanks all for looking.

7 Replies

@Kashibaba 

But MAX(20,8) is the same as MAX(8,20). Both formulae return 20.

You want to have the cell coloured red if the number 20 was first and green when is was the second number? Don't think this is possible.

You could achieve something like what you describe with conditional formatting when you use two columns of numbers. See attached.

Yes, both will return 20 and there I want something to colour them. Red if its a 20 from max(20,8) and green if its 20 from max(8,20)
Thanks for suggestion but I don't have values in separate cols.

@Kashibaba 

Why not simply upload a sample workbook with some dummy data along with the desired output mocked up manually to show what exactly you are trying to achieve?

Hi,

attached is an example file how my data is looks like and how results should be coloured. in attached colours are done manually just to show the desired outcome.

~Thanks all for looking.

attachment of dummy data posted. Thanks
best response confirmed by Kashibaba (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Kashibaba 

You may apply conditional formatting rule with formula

=C2=VLOOKUP($A2,FC!$A$2:$G$9,@MATCH(C$1,FC!$A$1:$G$1,0),0)

for the red and similar for the green. Please see in second sheet attached.

Thanks a lot Sergei. It did work perfectly. I had this in back of my mind but didn't want to try because I have +27K rows and +200 columns of data (with 2 Vlookups each cell) so applying this conditional formatting will possibly slows down the spreadsheet but since this is the only solution at the moment that is working so I will give it a try now.
Thanks again for your effort of being helpful.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kashibaba (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Kashibaba 

You may apply conditional formatting rule with formula

=C2=VLOOKUP($A2,FC!$A$2:$G$9,@MATCH(C$1,FC!$A$1:$G$1,0),0)

for the red and similar for the green. Please see in second sheet attached.

View solution in original post