SOLVED

Can't save in excel 2013, getting 'book1.xls already exists at this location'

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Excel 2013, start a new spreadsheet, try to save it and get 'book1.xls already exists at this location'.

Worked OK up to last night.

I've tried changing the location, same result.

I'm saving as 'Excel 97 - 2003 (*.xls)' and I've tried changing to xlsx, csv, etc, but if I do that then the save . saveasas does nothing, no reports, no actions, it just stays on the save screen

I've also tried 'repairing' MSOffice, same result.

Regards

Peter

5 Replies
Try saving it using a descriptive file name, not the generic book1.xlsx
Hi, thanks but I can't change anything, file location, name, etc. Even clicking the 'browse' button either shows the error message or does nothing. Regards Peter
Hi, I found out that Outlook now takes around 30 seconds to start and once I've downlaoded emails I can't delete them...looks like it can't find 'My Documents\Outlook files'. My Documents folder is there and I can see the files but something changed since yesterday, no idea what it could be. I don't want to do a full reload of MS Office as I have to buy a new licence key every time I do that, do I have any other options to get office to read the My Documents folder? Regards Peter

update: 

Word works OK, I can start a new document and save it.

in Excel I can open an existing spreadsheet with Explorer and by clicking on the file it boots Excel and I can save it to a new folder / new name...

but if I start a new spreadsheet I can't get it to save or save as, nothing happens when I click on anything...

If I open a new spreadsheet, then try to open an existing one I get another error message:

'MS Excel account open the files xyz.xls... 1) path dowsn't exits, 2) the file is being used by another program 3) the workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook.

Outlook finds existing emails after a pause of around 30 seconds, and I can't delete new emails.

Looks like Excel and Outlook can't find the documents folder for some reason but both 'options settings' show everything set up as it was previously and they're pointing to the right locations.

Regards

Peter

best response confirmed by Peterd51 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

I've dumped Outlook and I'm now using Mailbird...sorted.

I've copied an existsing spreadsheet, cleared the cells and saved it as 'temp.xls'.

My code now opens this, writes the data and saves it to another location / filename....sorted.

I can also now open it from the desktop and save it.

Some time ago I started to change my various VB5 programs to use Open Office but then MSOffice ran Ok for a few months so I stopped working on it. I'll finish that off and get rid of MSOffice...it will be sorted soon.

Regards

Peter

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Peterd51 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

I've dumped Outlook and I'm now using Mailbird...sorted.

I've copied an existsing spreadsheet, cleared the cells and saved it as 'temp.xls'.

My code now opens this, writes the data and saves it to another location / filename....sorted.

I can also now open it from the desktop and save it.

Some time ago I started to change my various VB5 programs to use Open Office but then MSOffice ran Ok for a few months so I stopped working on it. I'll finish that off and get rid of MSOffice...it will be sorted soon.

Regards

Peter

View solution in original post