SOLVED

Can't create chart, option grayed out

Copper Contributor

Using Excel Home and Business 2013 Version 15.0.5023.1000. Just updated it now. 

I had this same problem with an old spreadsheet, where suddenly I could no longer add new data to the chart. So created today a new sheet with new data, just 40 lines and 5 columns. I want to use data from 3 columns for chart as I had in old sheet. 

When I still couldn't insert chart, tried Help. The most relevant seeming thing had info only in video, only about Power View ( which apparently my version doesn't support) and the dumb video, if you paused it or tried to go back 10 seconds, the #@@%^ thing wouldn't restart unless I went back to beginning of video. #FAIL on on so many levels.

So I looked on this forum, and based on other threads, updated my version of Excel, checked that everything that's supposed to display is displayed (see attached), and still problem exists.

I'm not a power user but I've always been able to use my data to create charts no problem. Any suggestions on what might be the problem now? TIA. 

14 Replies
Is the sheet protected by any chance?

No, it is not protected. Thanks. 

Perhaps the workbook is in shared mode (Review tab)?

If you open your old workbook and Save As it into new one (.xlsx) will it be the same?

I tried that. It's the same. Thanks. 

Yes, it is in "shared" mode. I'm the only user I'm sharing with. I tried to remove myself and Excel wouldn't let me. Instead, it suggested closing the file. I did that, re-opened, and it's the same. How would I make it unshare?

When I looked in help, all I found was vague video info that co-authoring is better, though it didn't bother to say how specifically it's better or even in what versions of Excel co-authoring is in. I'm using Excel as part of Office 2013, desktop version, not 365 version.  I also didn't find what I was looking for, how to turn off sharing, since I'm the only one using this spreadsheet. 

Thanks. 

You should be able to unshare using the button on the review tab of the ribbon.

Please read my previous reply as to what happened when I tried to unshare it. I tried to unshare from the review tab (apologies that I didn't say specifically how I tried to unshare). What "should" happen isn't helpful if that's not what happens. 

best response confirmed by a g (Copper Contributor)
Solution

The trick is to uncheck the box, see screen shots.

Click Share WorkbookClick Share WorkbookUncheck the box and OKUncheck the box and OK

Thanks for taking the time to make the screen shots. I THOUGHT I'd already tried unchecking that box but at any rate it worked this time. Thanks. 

You're welcome. Glad this solved the issue.

@Jan Karel Pieterse wrote:

no  it is unprotected

@werkaroberto wrote:

@Jan Karel Pieterse wrote:

no  it is unprotected

IN Excel 2016, the share workbook button has been removed from the ribbon. You can add it to your Quick Access Toolbar temporarily, you may find the button if you select "All commands" from the dropdown.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by a g (Copper Contributor)
Solution

The trick is to uncheck the box, see screen shots.

Click Share WorkbookClick Share WorkbookUncheck the box and OKUncheck the box and OK

View solution in original post