SOLVED

Can no longer refresh data in a Protected Workbook since Excel version 1803

Brass Contributor

Seems to have been a functionality change introduced in version 1803.

We have a protected workbook with some data connections to pull in data from SQL. Since updating to version 1803 the message 'Workbook is protected and cannot be changed' appears when trying to refresh the data. Removing workbook protection allows data to be refreshed.

Using the same workbook in version 1802 allows the data to be refreshed with the workbook protection left on.

Posting here in case anyone else experiences this issue.

67 Replies

This has created MAJOR issues for me. I have loads of protected models and reports that extract info via SQL that are business critical. Please microsoft, can you look at this this problem ASAP?

I'm trying to get a ticket raised on O365 support, but as I'm not the company administrator it's proving irritating.  

I spoke to a microsoft representative for 2 hours, that was asigned via our administrator, no resolution at all...then just got pointed to another support group on the internet that i can not join...is getting rather frustrating!

Hi,

It is a known regression and we are working on a fix. Stay tuned and follow up the updates on Tech Community.

Guy
- Excel Team

Thank you Guy! :) Please keep us updated.  

David

@Guy Hunkin wrote:

Hi,

It is a known regression and we are working in a fix. Stay tuned and follow up the updates on Tech Community.

Guy
- Excel Team

@Guy Hunkin- many thanks for your update.

I did finally receive an update to the ticket I logged through O365, although the information directly contradicts what Guy has said in this thread!

[Ticket #:7973974]

Hello Alex,

This issue is by design and even Out of Support for Office 365 Technical Support.
You may share your valuable feedback for this on the below support links - 

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/32287204... 
https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/34126504... 

Should you have any additional queries, please let me know.

Thanks
Ankit Shukla
Microsoft Office 365

CwsRequestId:7438ad61-ee11-4d5f-a9de-af58cf7fa14a

I have the exact same problem.

I hope a solution will be found soon. 

Same problem here.

If it's a feature and not a bug (which I'm really hoping is not the case) then I'd like an option to not use it. I honestly can't see what benefit would there be to having it work like that.

Above, @Guy Hunkin suggested that it isn't a feature and the team is working on a fix.   Guy - do you have any update? 

Thanks,

David

The problem seems to be solved now. I don't get the pop-up anymore when I open the workbook. 

Is it the same for you? 

Kind regards

Nicolaj

It seems to be working now (Version 16.0.9226.2156). Thank you for letting us know.
best response confirmed by Alex Lush (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi there,

The fix was deployed for the following Office versions:

1. Version 1803 (Build 9126.2196) and later
  2. Version 1804 (Build 9226.2135) and later
  3. Version 1805 (Build 9330.2017) and later

Hope this helps.

Guy.

- Excel Team

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the fix, however it now appears something else has changed to do with queries. In our documents we're using we have an Excel file connection that pulls some data in that is centrally updated, in versions up to the latest this seemed to work fine. Now it appears the latest version of Excel won't allow us to refresh that connection and asks for a Microsoft Access Database Engine OLE DB Initialization Information. 

I tried replacing the query using the latest version of Excel, and it works fine, until you try opening the document with an older version of Excel and I get this error: image.png

Any ideas for a fix? I seem to have one version that works on older versions (e.g. 2010) and one that works with the new version of Excel 365 v1805 build 9330.2087.

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

I am not sure I understand your scenario. Are you saying that you have a query that cannot be refreshed with an older Excel version anymore?

Can you please provide step-by-step instructions for us to repro the problem locally? I will also appreciate if you can share a problematic workbook with me? Just make sure to remove or scramble all the sensitive or private data before sharing your workbook.

Guy.

Hi,

Easy fix. Just protect sheet and workbook with new password of ur choice and then unprotect again...should be all sorted.

Regards

Hi Guy,

I am still running into the same problem. I am running Excel version 1803, build 9126.2295 (see below).

image.png

I am running a basic query between two Excel workbooks on the same network. When the sheet I want to update is protected (default protection settings), I receive the below error.image.png

Edit: to clarify that I receive the error message when selecting "Refresh All", in case that wasn't clear.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike

@Michael Stephenson, I am checking this. In a meantime please un-protect the sheet as a workaround.

Hi @Michael Stephenson,

Can you please upgrade your Office version? This should be resolved in the latest semi-annual Office build version 1808 (build 10730.xxxxx).

Guy

- Excel Team

Hi Guy,

No, unfortunately my Office updates are managed by the system admin and I cannot update Office until they schedule updates for the entire group. I do not know when these will be scheduled.

-Mike S