SOLVED

Calculating percentages

Copper Contributor

I'm sure this is a very simple answer, I just cant figure it out. I need to know how to make a column show percentages of the adjacent columns figure to a specific cell. For example; The single cell shows total sales figure, and the column shows expenses by category. How do I make a column next to expenses that show their percentage of total sales without having to change the formula in each cell in the column?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by ram58072420 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Use absolute row reference for the total sales. If your expenses are in A2:A9 and your total sales in D1, your formula in B2, copied down to B9 is:
=A2/D$1
Format B2:B9 as Percentage.

Awesome, Thanks!

Remember this tip:
If you copy the formula down rows, lock the row by inserting a dollar ($) sign before the row number.
Conversely, lock the column by inserting a dollar ($) sign before the column number, if you copy across columns.
Succinctly stated:
Copy down rows? Lock row number
Copy across columns? Lock column letter

Hi@ram58072420 

Trying to calculate % decrease between two cells (2019 revenue vs. 2020 forecasted revenue, as a percentage). Spacing this simple formula.... thanks! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ram58072420 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Use absolute row reference for the total sales. If your expenses are in A2:A9 and your total sales in D1, your formula in B2, copied down to B9 is:
=A2/D$1
Format B2:B9 as Percentage.

View solution in original post