SOLVED

CSV paste not recognising commas

Copper Contributor

I've just had to reinstall Windows 10 Pro on my PC and reload Office 365. When I now try and paste csv data from an external program into an Excel spreadsheet excel doesn't seem to recognise commas as numerical separators... so a number pasted for example as 298,7755 is pasting as 2,987,755, but the cell itself doesn't seem to recognise the value separator I pasted. 

I've looked at my Windows number format setting and that seems to be ok.

I appreciate in advance anyone who might be able to help me understand where to set the parameters for an accurate paste of csv values?

Kindest regards, Dennis

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Dennis Guichard (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Dennis,

If you use comma as decimal separator which symbol do yo use for grouping? Other words, what are your settings here

image.png

Hi Sergei, thank you for your response which I appreciate.

I have them set as follows:

PC Settings.png

I can paste my csv data into Word and it inserts with the correct decimal points, so this seems to be an Excel specific problem that I can't fathom? 

Hi Sergei... wait... I apologise profusely... I reset those default Windows parameters to match yours... my decimal symbol was a comma rather than a 'full stop'... and Excel seems to be working as I would expect it to now so it must have been something as simple as that which was set up incorrectly by my new Windows installation. What a relief, I can now get back to doing some work today... thank you for deeply and sincerely for your reply which prompted me to get my software functional again. Enjoy your weekend. 

With thanks and the kindest of regards,

Dennis

Dennis, you are welcome and have a nice weekend

hi Sergei

how do i get into the customise format page to change it ?

Hi David,

Fastest way is to press Win+R and in command line

control international

Enter and in appeared window Additional settings

THANK YOU ALL OK NOW

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dennis Guichard (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Dennis,

If you use comma as decimal separator which symbol do yo use for grouping? Other words, what are your settings here

image.png

View solution in original post