Autofill

Copper Contributor

Hi

I'm trying to create an excel document but when I want a sequence of a day of a week it doesn't work.  Ex: If I write the word Monday if I drag the cursor it should follow with Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.  But instead it copies the word Monday and if I write a number 1 it does the same thing.

What should I do?

3 Replies
Add those days as a custom list: Go to File, Options, Advanced and look for the Edit custom lists button (near the bottom of the dialog). Click it and press enter them (separated by commas) into the "List entries" box and click "Add".

In addition - if you try to autofill from one cell with number 1, Excel has not enough information how to autofill and just copy the cell. Try to add 2 into next cell, select both and fill handle - it shall be autofilled by series now.

Alternatively, enter 1 in A1 and use the *right* mouse button to drag the fill handle. Select "Fill Series" from the context menu that pops up when you release the mouse button after the drag.
Try dragging with the right mouse button when a cell contains a date for some useful options as well.