Autofill for text, taking prompts from any other cells within the file (not just in same row/column)

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a large excel file containing various names of individuals (approximately 1500 rows and 50 columns).

These names sometimes recur within the same column, but more often across columns and in different rows, and almost always the recurrences are not in contiguous/adjacent cells, but rather in cells separated by many columns and/or rows.

In other words, a name may recur anywhere within the file.

Presently, if the name recurs in the SAME column, excel will give me an autofill suggestion so I don't need to type the whole name; I just type the first letter (or, 2 or 3 letters, for names with some similar letters) and excel prompts me with the full name, so I just select it (i.e. the name I need) and move on, saving a lot of hassle and time.

However, I cannot do this across columns, and very specifically so when, as I said above, the recurrences are in different columns and typically in different rows.

Can you please help me to put in place autofill so that it gives me suggestions for names from *anywhere* within that file?

Thanks...

Salman

0 Replies