Are we eligible to build a newsletter form lead information?

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I'm an Excel add-in developer.

Users need to agree to a Microsoft chart about lead information before using my add-ins. That's how I collected 1000 users' emails. Now, I would like to know if I'm eligible to build a newsletter form this mail list. Newsletter service providers (such as MailChimp) need this confirmation from Microsoft to approve my account.

Here is a screenshot; I have not found details about these terms and conditions.

Cheers

Tie

Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 16.15.06.png

3 Replies

Hello @Tie CHENG ,

your question is not about Excel, so it is not a good fit for this forum. 

If I gave you my email address when I downloaded your add-in and if you did NOT get my permission to send me emails, I would be OK if you send me ONE email so that I can opt in to a newsletter.  If you added me to the regular newsletter list without my permission, I would block you when the first newsletter arrives.

Hello @Ingeborg Hawighorst ,

I contacted Microsoft Support (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/supportrequestform/cea4ddc8-221b-9b9e-1866-26934afa3433), they told me this is the right place to ask this question.

In my screenshot, it is clearly mentioned that "By installing this add-in, you provide Microsoft permission to use or share your account information so that providers or Microsoft can contact you regarding these products and related products. You understand that the rights to use these products do not come from Microsoft, unless Microsoft is the provider.". They did not use the word like "receive email communications", but the meaning is quite the same.

I hope I could get some official confirmation somewhere (to show to newsletter service providers).

Cheers

Tie

@Tie CHENG  Again, your question is NOT about Excel. It is about data privacy and legal issues. Therefore it is not a good fit for this forum, which is for questions ABOUT Excel.

Your question is not related to Excel. You could have written the add-in for any other technology. It's not about the technology, it's about laws and agreements. Your interpretation of "quite the same" is just that: your interpretation. You may be breaching the agreement or you may not be. This is not something that people who know about Excel formulas and functionality can answer. Hence, you're in the wrong place to ask this question.