Adding two criteria together

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I would like to get the sum of all the "y" in each column, only if the last row has "a"

then "b" etc. What's the best way to do that? 

Edit: I have columns representing answers to questions.  I want a count of the number of "y"s (literally "y", not representing numbers) in each column only if the last value is "a" (the actual letter "a"). 

I am trying to create a chart that shows the number of answers based on how recent their last training. 

Thanks.  

5 Replies

@Wccat , could you please submit small sample file - your "y" etc are texts or numbers, where you'd like to put the result (same column or outside the range), what exactly means "then 'b'", etc. File gives much more information.

SUMIFS may return your desired result but the arguments thereof cannot be specified unless you attach your sample file.
I have columns representing answers to questions. I want a count of the number of "y"s (literally "y", not representing numbers) in each column only if the last value is "a" (the actual letter "a").

I am trying to create a chart that shows the number of answers based on how recent their last training.
I have columns representing answers to questions. I want a count of the number of "y"s (literally "y", not representing numbers) in each column only if the last value is "a" (the actual letter "a").

@Wccat 

That could be like

=IFERROR(COUNTIFS(INDEX($B$5:$AG$42,MATCH($B55,$A$5:$A$42,0),0),"y",$B$44:$AG$44,"a"),"no such")

here

image.png

if I understood your logic correctly