Add second x axis to Excel 2016

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I use Excel 2016 and want to add a second x axis. How do I do this ?

7 Replies

Hi Peter,

Format one of your series to plot on secondary axis, both vertical and horizontal secondary axis will be available, you may hide vertical and show only horizontal 

Can you please provide a click by click guide ?

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

Hi Peter,

Format one of your series to plot on secondary axis, both vertical and horizontal secondary axis will be available, you may hide vertical and show only horizontal 

Please check, for example, here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Al7vxBJCU

How do I make a clustered column chart with two axis?

As soon as I add a 2nd axis excel 2016 converts the chart type to combo. And the plotted columns of each series overlap each other instead of being on next to the other.

How do I make the 2axis variant look like the 1axis variant (except the scaling)?

Regards

Chilli

@Chilli7  - I was looking for an answer to the same question - it seems that this a bug as the clustered column chart now fully overlaps and obscures the shorted bar.  I have work around this by changing the Gap Width on one series (to make its column wider than the other) and making the Fill transparent.  Not ideal but at least both series are visible.  :\

Hope MS fixes the bug or we find a better solution.

Judging by other similar questions, if you are on Mac it is not possible to add a secondary axis. The help gives the correct instructions, but the option is not available on the menu.

@Peter Havord I found a workaround for the bug in the Excel menus. The help is just wrong (it should be right, but the menu apparently has a bug). 

1. Select the series you want to add a secondary axis for

2. Right-click (two-finger tap) on the series

3. Select "Format Data Series..."

4. In helper window on the right, you can choose to plot the series on primary or secondary axis.