Add Chart Element (along with other functions) not working

Copper Contributor

Is there a figure out why I cannot click on Add Chart Element? I have made a scatterplot from a data table, but cannot edit this graph because Excel is not allowing me to click on "Add Chart Element"

6 Replies

Hello @lcz2103 ! Maybe your worksheet is broken. Try to save it, open it again. On my side it works. Send a screenshot pls. if you get an error message. Greets, Eva.

@Eva Vogel I'm encountering the same problem. I've tried on several workbooks, restarted my laptop, without success. When I create a scatter plot, the Add Chart Element button appears, but when I click it, no drop down menu appears. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hello @jeno_! Sorry for my late answer. Would be helpful to get a screenshot of your workbook and that scatter plot you can´t edit.

Possible causes i can imagine: Do you have an Excel 16 oder 19 workbook without compatibility mode? Pls. check your File informations on Tab "Home" - Informations.

Other cause could be: is your sheet shared with others? I opened again that testfile i made on Feb 19 and saved it on my OneDrive. But I tried to open it on Windows 10 with another account, so my OneDrive asked me (right-click option as an author of that file says: "grant access to==> delete access), if I am willing to stop the sharing of that file on OneDrive. Maybe that file is in checked out mode with others. If you are not the author of that file:  pls. ask them to check in again that file, so that you can work with it with your "Edit" permission. This could be the case on OneDrive or SharePoint.

Look again at your Home Tab of that file and check the Informations there. Or: you dont have permits to get into that chart to edit it. This permissions also have to do with wether it is a saved path on OneDrive or SharePoint and who is the author of that file. The author can restrict editing by share a file on that platforms with certain permissions like "only read". Or: Pls. send a screenshot. Hope that helps on your side. Greets, Eva.

@Eva Vogel Thanks for your reply. My chart isn't shared. I'm simply opening Excel and filling in a few cells to make a scatter plot. I've attached a screen shot. When I get to this point, I'm unable to click on the Add Chart Element button. No drop down comes up.

I looked and my excel is version 15.15. I have an office 365 subscription, so I thought I would have the most up to date version. I'm not sure what else could be happening. 

Thanks for your help!

@Eva Vogel problem solved! I uninstalled and reinstalled office 365 and we're in business!

Dear @jeno_ ! That's always great to find a way on your own, so happy to have assisted a bit! Have a good week and have fun with your Excel 365 :)

All the best,

Eva.