Accounting formula

Copper Contributor

Thank you in advance.

Simply, Have an invoice tracking spreadsheet that is returning incorrect numbers.

Let's say column A is what is due, column B is what is paid and I need column C to provide what is still due. Problem is, sometimes we are given part payments which returns a false answer.

The current formula Calculates A as $5000, B as $3000 (part payment) and C as $0.00 were it should be $2000 is still due.

Obviously this is simplified, there are several columns summing similar numbers then charting the answer.

14 Replies

@Old_School ,

Simplified answer is in C1

=A1-B1

but which formulas do you use in reality?

@Sergei Baklan 

Sorry, I have simplified it to much. Actual formula =SUMIF(O2:O385,"<>",H2:H386) goes not help me if a part payment is received.

Column H is wages due. Columns F and G are the same but I calculate them separately (only way I know).

Column O is for payments received.

I will make sure any future questions are detailed.

@Old_School Could you post a small data sample (not 300 rows, just 10) and put in the expected results manually? It's hard to visualise what you want to achieve. 

@Ingeborg Hawighorst 

Column F      Wage 1

Column G      Wage 2

Column H      Wage 3

Column I        Total Wages

Column J        Net amount

Column K       Tax

Column L        Total

Column M       Payment date

Column N       Amount paid

Column O       Amount outstanding

I am trying to calculate how much is due to each person (columns F,G,H). If Column O is zero, then I do not want to calculate wages as they are already paid. Secondly, sometimes a part payment is made and it throws the calculations out. Ideally, If $10000 is due and $2000 is paid, then the $2000 would be divided equally reducing the amount due in wages.

Not a good start to my first question and I do apologise.

@Old_School Again, can you post a data sample? I mean a few rows of data with numbers and the expected result as a number as well.  You can attach an Excel workbook when you post a reply. There is a "Choose Files" button below the reply text box.

@Old_School  I used my moderator powers to delete your last post and the attached file. The file clearly contained personal, confidential information that you don't want publicly available.

Again, please post a small data sample that illustrates what you would like to achieve. Don't post your whole workbook. I only need a few rows of data with numbers, then explain what the expected result should be.

That is the problem with explanations. The sample may not be representative of the whole. Thus, the querist is tempted to attach the actual file! Explaining something is both science and art. As the saying goes, if you cannot explain it, you cannot understand it yourself. That is a candid reality.

@Twifoo 

Sorry twifoo for not meeting your high standards. Can you replace 18 metres of purlins without taking the roof off? We all have our niche.

I will try and find a solution elsewhere without the criticism

I am so sorry but I meant no offense to you. Just so you can explain what you mean, I advise you to do this:
Save your actual file as another name. Retain only 10 rows and delete all others. Replace the names of persons with generic names, like Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and so forth.
That way, you will be able to clearly explain what you mean while maintaining confidentiality of your data.

@Ingeborg Hawighorst 

Summing totals, how much each customer owes, average days to pay and so on is no problem. If column Q is $0.00, will not need to sum. If Q has a positive balance, then I need to add what is due for Columns F, G and H as they are liabilities until I am paid. Problem is, sometimes part payments are paid (cell O6), which then returns a false answer. Priority for that payment (cell O6) will always be divided equally to wages liability (Columns G and H). Once the remaining amount is paid, it will then bring back a $0.00 amount in Column Q, so will no longer need to be added anyway.

In summary, I need to sum what is due in Columns F, G and H if a balance is due in Column Q. Secondly, a part payment needs to be divided equally between G and H, reducing the amount due in each column by the equal share of the part payment.

Thank you for your patience.

@Old_School Thanks for the sample file. 

This is a sheet where each new row of data calculates based on the data above, right? You have a running total in columns P and Q. 

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do with column G and H. The numbers in these cells are not calculated. Someone must have typed them in. 

You have posted the table as it is now. That is a good starting point. Can you manually adjust the cells so I can see what you want to achieve? Then post that as well?

@Ingeborg Hawighorst

Yes Columns P and Q are self calculating but based on manual entries from Column O. Columns F,G and H are also manual entries inputted after an invoice is produced.

I only want to calculate what the total is for F,G and H if Column P has a balance outstanding. I need individual formulas for F, G and H placing the answer in any blank cell. The only variance would be if Column O has a part payment.

@Old_School I don't know how to say it any more clearly. Please post a sample with the expected results filled in manually.

I really don't have a clue what your desired end state looks like. 

Please post a version of your data sample that has this desired end state.  You say you only want to calculate X if there is Y, but you don't say in WHICH CELLS you want to perform these calculations and what the result should be.

Please mock that up in your data sample, so I know what to aim for.

This is my last attempt at trying to coax the desired result out of you. If you cannot show me what you need to see IN A SPREADSHEET, I will have to abandon this question.

Obviously my understanding of a community help forum is not what I thought. Sorry to waste your time.