SOLVED

AANTALARG

Copper Contributor

I Have a spreadsheet where I count all cells that arn't empty; The formula looks so:

=AANTALARG(c2:C5000

When I accidentally enter a space in one of the cells, then the result is +1 (one too much)

When I try to use a filter on that column, my only selectable cells are either "V"or empty cells, but not the "space"cells.

When I delete the Spave, that the result turns right again.

5 Replies

Hi Theo,

That's correct behavior, cell with the space is not empty. If exclude both you may use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(TRIM(C2:C5000)<>""))

Not sure what are the names of above functions in your locale.

best response confirmed by Theo Dam (Copper Contributor)
Solution
AANTALARG is COUNTA in English. And this is expected behaviour. It is odd that Excel's filtering treats cells with just a space in them as blanks though.
That is correct, I expect the filter to show me the blank entries and not to treat them as empty.
There is no possibility to find entries that only contain a blank.

Advance filter could filter the blanks only. How it works is for example here https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/microsoft-office/how-to-find-blank-records-using-excels-advanced-f...

Thank all you. I replaced my formula with the following one that solved the problem:
=SOMPRODUCT(--(SPATIES.WISSEN(C2:C26950)<>""))
(spaties.wissen) is dutch for TRIM.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Theo Dam (Copper Contributor)
Solution
AANTALARG is COUNTA in English. And this is expected behaviour. It is odd that Excel's filtering treats cells with just a space in them as blanks though.

View solution in original post