Home

#ExcelChampINTL

Re: #ExcelChampINTL

Ticketing and Broadcasting.PNGTicketing and Broadcasting Growth!

myChart Round 2.png

chartgymnastic_Rnd2.png

hope you enjoy it!

1.PNG2.PNG

As neat and simple as possible

Untitled.png

This is my try for Round 2. I hope you enjoy it :smileyhappy:

ExcelChampINTL_R2_guille253.png

Willy

graphique.jpg

Chart challange 2.jpg

A bit late but here is my chart

OlimpicGamesChart2.pngOlimpicGamesChart2.png

Round2.PNG

#ExcelChampINTL

Chart Gymnastics Answer (2).png

Like dado, monstro sagrado do Excel, boa sorte ai mestre

Times up! Round 2 is closed.

Thanks to everyone that participated!

Come back soon. We will announce winners shortly!

Amazing!

Pretty good Chart.

Thank you Asif for your positive feedback.

Best regards,

Hicham

I hope that you'll post rank list for all participants. That would be nice insight. Maybe some additional information, too. Minimum number of functions/operations in formula part, best solutions etc. Thanks. :)

I like your idea in showing the last five games in the form of the five rings. Nice!

I aggree.

Such feedback would be helpful to see where we stand and to learn from the best.

The best!

Obrigadão Grande Mestre Damasceno! 

Congratulations to our Top Performers from Round 2!

These people are advancing to our Semi-Final Round starting soon:

@Prerit Ahuja

@Andrew Huy Nguyen

@Diarmuid Early

@MF Wong

@MARCIO RIBEIRO 

@Henrik Schiffner

@hossein satour

@Hristo Piyankov

@Hicham Bouhabib

@Kyle Sutton

@Wyn Hopkins

@Cristián Juárez

@Joanne Sparkes

@Ivan Bosnić

@Sarah Harrison

@Rafael Issamu

@Andrew Tang

@Tiara Tan

@Grzegorz Chojnacki

@Yingjie Shen

We will share more on top answers/common pitfalls from all rounds following the close of competition.  

Until then, good luck to our remaining competitors!  And thank you to everyone that participated!

The Semi-Final round has begun!

Our round 2 winners can now face off for a spot in the finals

All other Excel fans are welcome to download the test, but please do not discuss your answers until after the Semi-Final round has closed

The file includes instructions on how to complete the test and submit your answers

Good luck!

Hi Microsoft,

Could you make a few clarifications pretty please?

1) For question 3, can we assume that it is only the cells which currently contain numbers that are going to be updated? i.e. the update will be to traffic only and not the location of venues or roads.

2) May we submit our charts first and follow up with our full submissions later in order to increase our community score?

3) Finally, are votes by new members counted towards our score, suggesting we are encouraged to invite new members to the forums?

My presentation of the Rio 2016 Team Gymnastics results

Excel Champs Round 3.PNG

ExcelIntlChartRnd3_JSparkes.JPG

@Microsoft Excel

Question to Formula Wrestling, as i understand we can drive only ahead, returns are not allowed ?

example: From A to B to F is not allowed ? cause i have to go to B Venue and then need to return... (picture)

And probably we can't visit each Venue more than once, am i right ?

example.png

Hi Tiara

1) For question 3, can we assume that it is only the cells which currently contain numbers that are going to be updated? i.e. the update will be to traffic only and not the location of venues or roads.

>>> Please refer to the question instructions - the refresh is explained there

2) May we submit our charts first and follow up with our full submissions later in order to increase our community score?

>>> Yes this allowed 

3) Finally, are votes by new members counted towards our score, suggesting we are encouraged to invite new members to the forums?

>>> Current and New Member votes will count

Thanks and Good Luck

Hello Grzegorz,

"Returns" and visiting a venue more than once are allowed

Thanks and Good luck

Here's my attemp, good luck for other Competitors ! :)

Better resolution in attachment.

ExcelChamp3.jpg

Capture.PNG

I like the colors you used in the chart. :)

I liked the simplicity of the charts. It's easy to read and to understand. :)

Here my attempt for this semi final!!

chart---round-3.jpg

This is a dynamic chart then follow sample of his display on the worksheet:

picasion.com_861170f6ce350d9fbff91b55031a72ea.gif

Good lucky to everybody!

Highlighted

submission3.1.JPG

Here is my attempt. Showcasing final standings from three perspectives - Overall, Countries & Gymnasts

(Also tried a new theme this time).

Good luck to everyone.

RoundThreeV2.JPG

Here is my semi-final chart submission, showing final round and event performance by country.

My submission includes three what-if scenarios of Ukraine fielding replacements, rather than scratching on Maksym Semiankiv's events. Based on these scenarios, Ukraine was unlikely to move ahead of Germany.

Good luck to everyone!

Excel Championship Round 2 Graph.JPG 

Hi Microsoft,

To follow up with additional questions beyond Tiara's, I wanted to ask these questions from a curiosity standpoint. I've already submitted my workbook, and maybe they'll help the other competitor's who haven't submitted yet, but that's okay!

1) For 01-01, is it safe to assume that there would be no ties to get into the finals? Say the top 3 scores from Race 1 are 50.31, 50.69, and 50.69 (and also assume that Races 2 and 3 result in other scores that are all faster than 50.69, so 50.69 wouldn't get in under rule 2.) That would cause some issues in saying only 2 move on, since really it would be 3.

2) For 03 Formula Wrestling, if there are 2 paths that lead to the fastest possible travel time, would you be looking for both path routes listed in Question 5, or just one of them? For example, if the roads down the sides are all "1", the fastest possible travel time would be 7 for both. Question 5 could be "ABDF" or "ACEF". Is listing just one of those acceptable?

Looking forward to your answers, thank you!

Here's what I did in 4 minutes. Time is money. :)

It's minimalistic, has high data-ink ratio, follows good practice and data speaks for itself. I hope you like it. :)

Chart.gif

P.S. If you see hourglass icon instead of animation, click on it to see animation.

P.P.S. You posted some great charts and dashboards. It's honor to be in semi-finals with you. Good luck, everybody.

HI Kyle

1) For Question 1: you can assume you will have a "clean" 8 without ties

2) For Formula Wrestling: we're just looking for one path.  in the case of a tie - any "fastest path" would be an acceptable answer

Also one question for the formula wrestling: can we assume that there will always be at least one open path from A to F , or should we also account for the possibility that there is no answer (e.g. all paths are "999") ?

I'm a sucker for simplicity. At the end of the day your chart shows what the user needs in the easiest way.

Didn't Bill Gates once say something about hiring the person who will solve a difficult problem the easiest way? ;)

Such a honor and pleasure to be in Round 3.  Here's my chart.

ExcelChampINTL-Rnd3_Chart_MFWong.PNG

Normally when I do a business report, I will also (offer an option to) show the "Bottom" performance.  However, for Olympics Games, I think we should honor every Athletes.

Cheers,

MF

Here's my attempt. I found this one WAY more challenging than the last two... with so many dimensions to the data (country, event, athlete), there are a lot of stories to tell. I've tried to drill in to two things: first, how can you break down a country's performance (especially the winners) and work out which events and athletes were most important to them; and second, how you can think about comparing athletes, e.g. to assess the best overall individual (it's a lot harder than you might think because they're not all entering the same events, or even the same number of them).

I hope you like it!

P.S.: Thanks to all the other competitors - I've seen some really awsome stuff here in the last few weeks, and picked up a lot of good ideas that I'll use again.

Summer Olympics analysis - Diarmuid Early - Round 3.png

Just wondering if using SOLVER is accepted?

Don't think that a solution from solver will update/refresh when the data changes! 

Dear Microsoft Admin:

Shall we interpret the instructions for the formula wrestling task "Use formulas so that your answers automatically update if the data changes." As an exclusion of any solution that uses the "goal seek", "Solver", and "VBA" functionality of Excel.?

Thank you and best regards,
Hicham

Hi Hicham,

AFAIK, solver and Goal seek can't refresh on data change without VBA. And we can't use VBA because we must send file with .xlsx extension.
Also, if we'll use VBA then any formula can be solved with only one function. :)

That part is solvable with simple usage of couple basic functions. You just need to think a little about it. Good luck. :)

Hi Tiara,

Thanks for your support with my approach. Good luck with competition. :)
Related Conversations
Copy/paste no longer working in Excel
Jon Firooz in Excel on
44 Replies
Excel Compare Data
Arnold Lopez in Excel on
12 Replies
EXCEL DO NOT SHOW GRAPH MAP CHART
Mark 777 in Excel on
47 Replies
Missing Excel 2013 worksheet tabs
Mike Hill in Excel on