Home

#ExcelChampCA

Microsoft Excel
Microsoft

#ExcelChampCA

Do you think you have what it takes to be the Excel World Champ?

We want to your skills and creativity!

From October 2016 to November 2016, Microsoft will run a special 4-round Excel competition for residents of Canada. Only the top competitors in each round will make it through to the next. Our finalists will compete against one another for the title of Excel Champ Canada and Surface Book for top finalist, Surface Pro 4 devices for two runners up finalists.

In Early 2017, champions from around the world will compete against one another for the title of Excel World Champ and the Grand Prize: a trip to Seattle, USA and a meeting with Excel Product Leads to provide feedback on the next features added to Excel.

Competition Dates

October 3 - October 9 Trials (Virtual Round): Test your skills to see if you have what it takes!
Tests will be available on this page beginning October 3 at 00:00 UTC, no submissions accepted after October 9 23:59 UTC

October 12 - October 21 Qualifying Heat (Virtual Round): Compete for a spot as one of the top 10 of Excel users in Canada
Tests will be available on this page beginning October 12 at 00:00 UTC, no submissions accepted after October 21 23:59 UTC
October 26 - November 2 Semi Finals (Virtual Round): Our 10 best performers compete for a spot as one of the top 3 Excel users in Canada
Tests will be available on this page beginning October 26 at 00:00 UTC, no submissions accepted after November 2 23:59 UTC
November 18 Finals (LIVE): The top 3 Excel users face-off in our finals for the title of Excel Champ Canada  
2017 The Canada winner and winners from other countries will compete to be the Excel World Champ  

Competition Format

Each test spreadsheet will include three challenges

• Data Relays - accessing, structuring, managing, and manipulating data
  • Chart Gymnastics - visually representing data to best tell a story, as judged by our panel of experts and this Excel community
  • Formula Wrestling - using formulas to dynamically solve questions, even if the data changes

How to Register

Registration is open from now until the close of the Qualifying heat. To register for the competition:

1. If you are not already signed in, click "Sign In" at the top of this page. This requires a Microsoft Account, which can be set up using any email address you like.

2. “Like” this post. That's it!
    Users that “Like” this post at least 48 hours before the start of competition rounds will receive an email notification when test spreadsheets are available

How to Compete

For Virtual Rounds

1. When a test workbook is posted to this conversation, download the file
  2. Complete test questions and save your completed workbook
  3. Post an image of your Chart Gymnastics answer to this conversation string. A portion of your final score will be based on how many likes your chart receives here in the community.
  4. Send an email with your completed workbook attached for final grading. Details on where to send your workbook will be provided with the test.
    Competitors will be scored based on performance of the 3 testing areas Data Relays (35%), Chart Gymnastics (30%, 25% Judging Panel + 5% community “Likes”), Formula Wrestling (35%). Test submission time and performance in prior rounds will be used to break tied scores.

Live rounds will have the same test structure, but scoring for each test question will factor in the time to complete tasks. Community scoring will not apply to live rounds.

For full details on scoring and eligibility, please refer to the contest terms and conditions available here

Eligibility

Competitors must be at least 18 years old and a resident of the Canada. Microsoft Employees and Excel MVPs are not eligible to compete. Only one submission per person is allowed.

If you would like to connect with and learn from other Excel fans, visit the Excel community (link) and click the Join button.

Thank you for showing your support for Excel! We look forward to seeing the amazing things you can do!

86 Replies

Re: #ExcelChampCA

You will need Excel 2010 or later to get started in the competition. 

The questions will get harder each round and require some more advanced features.  Make sure you have these additional tools: 

If you are using Excel 2010, install these add-ins to Excel

If you are using Excel 2013, install this add-in to Excel

If you are using Excel 2016, these tools are already built-in.  No need to install anything extra!

If you don’t have access to any of the above, consider trying Excel 2016 by installing a free trial O365.  Learn more here

Round 1 is available! 

Click the download button at the bottom of this message to get started.

The file includes instructions on how to complete the test and submit your answers

Good luck!

Is the Workbook supposed to be Protected?  

That prevents the refresh of the Data Model and the use of Get and Transform.   Even though it looks like there are linked tables already created in the Data Model, if they cannot be refreshed then are they legitimate sources for the tables and charts you are asking for?  Or do we have to use traditional VLookups and the like to do the work?

Is this a mistake?

**bleep**

The **Bleep** is there because the name I use is the traditional English nick-name for Richard ... funny....

Excel WC Rd 1 Chart.png

Changing Olympics.PNG

chart.png

Workbook protection is intentional.  The test can be completed in it's current state.

Growth of Modern Olympics.PNG

For 01-01 and 01-02, is the table we create supposed to contain formulas or values?

Part 1.JPG

Olympics Participation Esther.png

dtziruln@hotmail.ca.png

Shaun Andresen - Challenge 1 Graph.png

Has anyone submitted and recieved an auto reply yet? Sent it in last night, but didn't get anything back yet.

Edit: Caught by my spam filter before it was autoforwarded to my main email address.  I did submit it twice, so hopefully it's all ok.  The first round is "just for fun" so it should be fine.

I really like your formatting but I think there's something up with your data. Check the count of male athletes for the most recent three data points.

Nevermind, I see you aren't using stacked area.

Nothing received on my end.

I emailed last night, and received an email right away saying they received it.

ExcelChampCA-Rnd1.jpg

Olympics Chart.PNG

I submitted mine and received no confirmation, either in my inbox or my junk/spam folder. And the email address we were directed to send it to is an unmonitored mailbox according to the email notification I received saying that the first round test was available.  

Untitled.jpg

awesome_olympic_chart.png

excelchampround1.png

OlympicTrends.jpg

Olympics Games History.JPG

OlympicTrendsChart.png

ExcelChampCARnd1Chart.png

Jose_Islas_Round_1.jpg

Thank you all. This is my image of the Chart Gymnastics.

2016_10_09_00_25_10_Clipboard.png

#ExcelChampCA

OlympicsOlympics

Hello, 

For Chart Gymnastics, can we make seperate charts? Or does all data have to be in one chart?

Thanks,

Eddie

Chart Competition.PNG

Excel Compete R1-02.jpg

salmanb74.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 5.33.04 PM.png

Here is my submission. Thank you!

chart.png

Still a bit old school in using 2007, but still does the job :)

T01-02 Olympics Chart.png

Times up! Round 1 is closed.

Thanks to everyone that participated.  And come back.  Round 2 begins soon and everyone is invited to participate!

Round 2 is available! 

Click the download button at the bottom of this message to get started.

The file includes instructions on how to complete the test and submit your answers

Good luck!

My Round 2 GraphMy Round 2 Graph

Untitled picture.png

Round 2.PNG

excelchampround2.png

Related Conversations
EXCEL DO NOT SHOW GRAPH MAP CHART
Mark 777  in  Excel  on