Login with AzureAD Account sync instantly goes in "Error" state

Brass Contributor

Hi

Please see this video about my problem: https://youtu.be/atxOfCJBKRE

To recap in words, When I sign-in with my personal AzureAD account to Edge Dev and Canary (Newest builds 78.0.262.0/78.0.267.0) it instantly goes into Error state.

I have tried on 3 different PC's. 2 of them newly installed Win10 1903 setup and logged in directly with the AzureAD credentials. 

So it's not a PC problem, cause as the video shows I have two other profiles, which both are setup with AzureAD account sync.

EDIT: It hasn't worked in previous builds either.

88 Replies

only one I found hasn't been updated in over a month. I have both Canary and Dev and both are the same.

Hi @Avi Vaid and @akhator 

Any update? - Are you looking into this problem?

Regards Lars.

@nOrphf yes we have isolated the issue from your most recent filed feedback on 10/12. We are actively looking into this. 

Thanks for your patience. 

@akhator Thank you for your answer.

Let me know it I can be of any assistance.!

I'm an IT professional, so don't be shy to ask any thing I could try or provide you :)

Regards Lars Mortensen

@akhator Do you want me to send an daily feedback, or isn't this necessary?

/Lars

@nOrphf No that will not be necessary. We will ping you if any additional data is needed. Really appreciate your willingness to help.

@akhator any progress on this issue?

since you announced the sync capability at ignite, I assume you have to get it working sooner than later. @akhator

@nOrphf  have you heard anything from MS?

Hi@jasonsch69 

No I haven't heard more about this issue either from @akhator or other for that sake.

Regards

Dear @akhator 

Could you please give us an update on this issue, is this just a tuff nut to crack, or is it waiting for some other code?

Please giv us an status on were you are on this issue.

It is not very pleasant to wait in the dark, it is so much more fun to wait in the light.

Regards Lars

@nOrphf Apologies for delay in response. Based on the investigation on top of your feedback submitted on 10/12, it seems like your account needs a reset of all your sync server data. Unfortunately, we haven't yet exposed that control in our app. Some bugs in past led to a small number of users get into this bad state. Those bugs have been fixed but we don't have a good way to recover the impacted accounts. I understand that this is really annoying to have your account stuck in this state and it bothers us equally to have our users get stuck in bad state. Once we enable a way for users to reset all their server data, you should be able to leverage that to recover your account sync. I don't have a timeline I can offer for that at the moment. Really sorry for the trouble you are going through.

Thank you for the response, nice to know why.

That's what happens when beta testing :)

I'll patiently await the option to reset all server data. I have a workaround in place which is using another account for sync.

Regards Lars

Is there any way that I can open a support ticket and have somebody delete the data on the backend? Similar to this note for enterprise state roaming in this article. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/devices/enterprise-state-roaming-enable
Explicit deletion
Explicit deletion is when an Azure admin deletes a user or a directory or otherwise requests explicitly that data is to be deleted.

User deletion: When a user is deleted in Azure AD, the user account roaming data is deleted after 90 to 180 days.
Directory deletion: Deleting an entire directory in Azure AD is an immediate operation. All the settings data associated with that directory is deleted after 90 to 180 days.
On request deletion: If the Azure AD admin wants to manually delete a specific user’s data or settings data, the admin can file a ticket with Azure support.

Hi @akhator 

Almost 2 months has gone, and GA is closing in. Do you have any update on this matter?

A vague estimate at least?

Regards Lars.

@nOrphf @akhator  

or at least some other way to reset the sync data.

@nOrphf 

Same here. Feels a bit like beta users are being left behind, now that the feature is ready for GA. 

@akhator 

@Avi Vaid 

@Elliot Kirk 

@nOrphf 

DEV channelDEV channelGA releaseGA release

This is a user that is syncronized to Azure AD, but the source is Windows Server AD

Azure AD profileAzure AD profile

@nidde nOrphf Thanks for your patience and apologies for delay in response here. I believe there are two topics in this thread

1. For accounts getting message of "Sync is not available for this account" - this is expected to show up when your account does not meet the pre-requisites needed for sync (for instance AAD premium accounts, correct configuration etc.) Please review the summary here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-enterprise-sync . This covers both the pre-requisites as well as configuration needed for sync to work. 

2. There is a second bucket of errors reported where encryption management ran into error. This is expected to impact the account and thus will prevail on all devices (you should see crypto error on edge://sync-internals for this bucket). We are working on in-app control for users to reset their cloud data. However that is still further out. In the meantime, we are preparing and verifying a manual process allowing users to request deletion of their cloud data. I am hoping that we will be able to offer this manual set of instructions soon while we work on right long term solution in parallel. 

Thanks again for your patience.