Teams EDU + Intune Education

Deleted
Not applicable

Does anyone know if there is an installer package for the Microsoft Teams client that can be installed via Intune Education? For some reason the Microsoft Teams team only provides old-school .exe installers, which doesn't work with Intune/Intune Education. I have no idea why they don't use Microsoft's own installer tool (MSI) which has been the standard for a while.

15 Replies

Hi Grant - I do not know the answer and am sharing your question with the team. Hope to have an update to post relatively soon. Angela 

Thank you Angela! Please let me know if I can provide any information that might help.

Agree ... this does not make sense.  Launch Teams for Education ... and Teams wants to use a separate App which can not be distributed using the PC management that Microsoft is pushing for education - InTune for Education.

Agreed Jim. Any news @Angela Robertson?

+1 Keen for a MSI installer for Teams

I had a question out about this item and did not receive an answer. I am trying again. 

Hi Grant,

I saw your post and was a bit amazed since I always thought it should be possible to install .exe files using Intune. So I tried this:

1. I downloaded an .exe file for MS Teams from https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads

2. I went to my Intune portal and went to apps. I was able to successfully add the .exe file as an app.

3. I implemented the app to my Windows 10 group (WIndows 10 devices)

4. On starting a Windows 10 client from that group, Teams was installed.

What of the above steps do not work for you as expected?

Hi Mike,

If I attempt to upload a .exe file, Intune throws an error telling me that .exe is not an allowed extension. It then says that .msi, .appx, and .appxbundle are the only allowed extensions (for Windows).

So this is what I see on InTune for Education when I click Add a Desktop App.  Can you provide more details how you were able to upload a .EXE?

InTune App Load.PNG

Interesting... I have to admit that my check from yesterday was in a normal Intune portal so I jsut checked on my EDU Intune portal. 

From the main menu, I navigated to Apps in the left pane, selected apps and then clicked on Add an App from the top menu. The following dialog appears:
2017-08-09_0755.png

So it launched the Microsoft Intune Software Publisher to add the .exe files.

This way I was able to add Teams_Windows_X64.exe with the -s switch for a silent install which works on a Win 10 dekstop.

@Mike PlatvoetAre you at the the Intune Education dashboard? (intuneeducation.portal.azure.com)? The UI in your screenshot is completely different from what I see.

Grant, I use the Intune portal that I access from my O365 administration panel (I have O365 EDU tenant, and Intune EDU licenses). You can select it from the left pane at the bottom and from there you will be directed to the normal intune portal (https://admin.manage.microsoft.com/MicrosoftIntune/) that works for Education as well. If you go there to the Apps en then from top menu of the list select add an app then you should be able to add Teams as an .exe application (I managed to do this). 

Ah, I see. I have a fairly new tenant so we started out directly with the new Intune console in Azure. The link you posted is the classic Intune console, which is evidently being gradually transitioned into the new Azure Intune interface. All of our devices are setup using the Windows 10 MDM platform, so unfortunately I can't use the classic console for anything as it is evidently limited to managing machines that are connected using the Intune client software. Thank you for sharing that though, that goes a long way to explaining why the documentation on MSI installers is so confusing!
Let's hope that .exe files will be implemented there as well then! I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

Here's hoping the upcoming "sidecar" features will take care of this, but we will see...