Restrict Office 365 group creation to faculty licenses only

Brass Contributor

I am global admin.  I need to restrict Office 365 Group creation to users with faculty licenses only. Students are creating groups and should be going through their instructors to do so. We have Azure AD Basic and cannot afford Premium licenses. Is there a way to set O365 Group creation by members of a Security group through scripting?

2 Replies

You can easily script this but that doesn't eliminate the need for Azure AD Premium according to Microsoft: "The administrator who configures the settings, and the members of the affected groups, must have Azure AD Premium licenses assigned to them".

You could however license one service account with Azure AD Premium and create a workflow with PowerShell or a service like Azure Automation where teachers could request new groups using ie. a SharePoint Form or PowerApps, then disable group creation for everyone else. That way you could also build in logic for group naming and more without the need for premium licenses.

Hermine,

You indicate that you only want to give users with a employee license the rights to create an Office Group.
I have solved it in the following way. I have a dynamic e-mail security group that adds users with a certain value. With us that is an MS Exchange Custom attribute. A license is issued on the basis of group membership. When you run the script that Magnus Sandtorv refers to, you can use the Object ID of the group that contains only users that meet the requirements of the dynamic e-mail security group.