SOLVED

Techniques Around Helping Users Decide: When To Use What In Office 365

MVP

Ignite is coming in only a few months and that means another new "When To Use What In Office 365" session along with an attempt to update and rebuild some of the Whitepaper guidance.

We have our work cut out for us. Would love any community help or support we can get!

What are some great "When To Use What" or Enterprise User Guidance resources you have seen published or shared in the last year?

Once I have reviewed the ones you all share I will try and build a more comprehensive resource list by combining it with the 20 or so I found so far this past year for future reference for everyone. :)

23 Replies

Richard, with MS pushing heavily on MS Teams (which isn't included in the whitepaper; wasn't GA last year), moving to Stream ("replaced" Video) and so many other changes since publishing the whitepaper (e.g., overall tighter integration between the products), do you have any plans to post an updated version?

Also, with hybrid being a major (multi-year) first step for many organizations, does it make sense to address it when discussing what-when?

thx, AntGut

likQuick response... 

RE: Whitepaper - We do hope to update the When To Use What whitepaper/content and have started the process but don't have a firm date (expect it to be broken down into more consumable material than one super whitepaper). Similar to how the adoption whitepaper and how it has related resources (Office365Campaigns.com and Office365Resources.com).

RE: Stream I discussed this at MSIgnite 2016 in my second what to use when talk - https://channel9.msdn.com/events/Ignite/2016/BRK2046?term=Office%20365%20-%20What%20to%20Use%20When - not sure why it's not visible on techcommunities. The gist is that Office 365 Video will be updated w/ Stream capabilities. But you keep using Office 365 Video if you are an O365 customer. 

At the most recent Ignite there is a slide shown for 'when to use what' that we agree with (though we think there is a bit more discussion/complexity on the outer/external loop). The depiction of inner loop and outer loop isn't a bad model to think about Teams or Yammer for conversations and collaboration - where SharePoint, sites etc powers the content services behind these.

The biggest issue is whether Teams works for external collaboration at scale today - as we find sales (or external focused business units) in most orgs may struggle since there isn't equivalent external federation like what we have in Skype for Business or the ease of outlook for external comms (yet).

Here's a Quick Guide we created to hand out to users. Can be printed as a pamphlet.  Its a slight variation to Richard's work. 

Here's a Quick Guide we created to hand out to users. Can be printed as a pamphlet.  Its a slight variation to Richard's work.