unable to change search engine for the address-bar

Iron Contributor

I tried to change the standard search engine of the address-bar to Google, but failed:

Edge uses always Bing, despite 'Google' is the search engine marked as default in the settings! Even when I delete Bing, Bing is used nevertheless!

Resetting all settings to default also had no result. Curious is, that after resetting to default, 'Google' remains a defined search-engine!

Also strange: everything works OK on my Windows 10 Pro, the error exists on my Windows 10 Home system.

42 Replies
Sorry, that was my fault - everything works OK! I should always wear my eye-classes!

@Juergen_Soltau

Looks like you got this to work.  I can't.  I added Google as a search engine and set it as the search engine for the address bar.  Now when I type something on the address bar and hit enter, nothing happens.  If I set it back to Bing and type something and hit enter it takes me to Bing search.  How did you make it work with Google?

Thanks,

Bill

I found an extension called Address Bar Search Switcher which allows me to use Google search from the address bar.  I can use this until Microsoft fixes Edge to use the search engine defined in the settings.

Bill

@Juergen_Soltau im with you on this, took me ages to find the setting. it does however seem to be staying now i have changed it.

@zswobbie1234 

Thanks for the info.  I had to tweak it a bit to get it to work for me, but I did get it to work.  That is way too hard for the average user to figure out.  They could have made it much easier.  Chrome and Firefox both work much easier than this.  Leave it to MS to make things more difficult than they need to be.

Thanks
Bill

I stopped using google for search a long time ago I use bing on all my devices

@Deleted Upload an image on Google Image search and then upload it on Bing Image search, then compare the results.

Bing will give you completely irrelevant results, that look nothing like the image. In some cases it works fine, but on most cases it fails so badly. Google have done a fantastic job on their search. It will take quite a long time before Bing gets where Google search is.

try searching with a more relevant search using brackets or plus and minus @Henry-Williams1889 

I think bing gives a better choice@Henry-Williams1889 

@Deleted 

What the heck does that have to do with my original query.  I don't really care what search you use.  I use Google and wanted to know how to make Edge work with Google.  

try setting google as your home page as google @Deleted 

@Deleted 

It is all sorted for me.  zswobbie1234 gave me the clue I needed in order to get it to work.

I am glad you were able to get this to work Juergen,

Hi, I am a dev on Edge and I'm gathering more information about this issue.

If you see this, do you mind posting what both edge://settings/search and  edge://settings/searchEngines say?

One suspicion we have is that this has to do with the residing country. If you can relay this information as well, that would be helpful.

Thanks so much for helping.

@Deleted  Had you tried the following? Sometimes manual entries are a good door to typos. This did the trick for me when I was trying to use Duck Duck Go.

1- Go to edge://settings/searchEngines

2- Delete your Google entry

3- Go to Google.com

4- Return to edge://settings/searchEngines

5- Make the new Google entry your default search engine

6- Try doing a search using the address bar

@jessemMSFT wrote:

Hi, I am a dev on Edge and I'm gathering more information about this issue.

If you see this, do you mind posting what both edge://settings/search and  edge://settings/searchEngines say?

One suspicion we have is that this has to do with the residing country. If you can relay this information as well, that would be helpful.

Thanks so much for helping.

@jessemMSFT requested qaddresses give as follows, and i am in the UK en-GB

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG