mht and mhtl files

Copper Contributor

Initially Edge Canary and Edge Dev could read mht and mhtl files but this seems to have been taken away. I need this and lack of it in Edge was the reason I did not use it and used IE and Chrome instead. I understand that this file formaat was created by Microsoft so it is strange that they are not sopporting it while Chrome does. If not added back I will be abandoning Edge Canary and Edge Dev,

3 Replies

Try Save As MHT extension.

@Old_Man88 wrote:

Initially Edge Canary and Edge Dev could read mht and mhtl files but this seems to have been taken away. 

I have no problems either opening .mht and .mhtml files with EC (Ctrl-O) or double-clicking on a file in Explorer. Check your file associations: open an administrator command window and type 

ftype mhtmlfile

This is what mine shows (on 32-bit Canary):

C:\Users\Johnny>ftype mhtmlfile
mhtmlfile="C:\Users\Johnny\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\msedge.exe" "%1"

If you something other than msedge.exe at the business end of that path, you need to fix the association. To do that, you'll have to find the program executable. I don't know of an easy way to do that, but this is what comes to mind:

1. Press Windows key and locate the program in the list. Right-click on it and select More > Open file location. This will just open the folder where the shortcut is located.
  2. Right-click on the entry in the Start menu | Programs folder and select Properties.
  3. Press Ctrl-C to copy the contents of the Target box.

Back to your administrator command window and enter the following:

ftype mhtmlfile=

then right-click at the end of what you typed and select Paste. This should paste what you copied at (3) above. Then type 

"%1"

so that the whole line looks something like this:

ftype mhtmlfile="C:\Users\Johnny\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\msedge.exe" "%1"

The bit inside quotes will of course be different for you. Unless you see an error message, you should now be good to go with .mht and .mhtml files. If you do see an error message. come back here and quote it in full.

@Noel Burgess  Thanks very much. The path to msedge.exe on mt Win10 64 bit computer is slightly different: C:\Users\kenpk\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\msedge.exe but I fo;;owed your procedure and now the files open in Adge Canart as desired. Again, thanks