edge profile drawer

Copper Contributor

I would like to see an option, so when I launch edge I can select the profile I want instead of automatically opening the last used profile.

10 Replies

@quintendc 

I can understand your feature request since I have to have multiple profiles myself.

Nice thing is if you have the profiles created and setup with our new Microsoft Edge browsers,

it switches over incredibly fast to another profile by choosing your profile by the left of the Smiley

Face on the top right corner of the browsers. You would then just have to sign in.

I know this is not the same, but a great workaround for now (if you're not already doing this).

Thanks for your feature request,

Frank

@V-FRROME 

yeah i know, also i now see that i am able to pin different profiles to my taskbar, but you first have to

open that particular profile and then pin it, maybe you could add a button next to each profile under settings > profiles "pin to taskbar" which would make it more convenient.

@quintendc 

This and your first feature request are great asks.

If you have not already, I would recommend submitting feedback through the 

Smiley Face in the top right corner of our browser also. 

Thanks again for sharing your feedback,

Frank

It will be good to have multiple profiles without requirement to have outlook account for each.

@diirn 

that is already possible, i have different profiles setup only my main profile has an outlook linked to it.

you only need an outlook account to use the sync functionality.

@quintendc  yes, but it will be nice to add another account which will have to sync without having full outlook account. For example, like in Chrome. 

@quintendc I completely agree! As a consultant, I like building a profile for each Azure AD identity, so pinning them all to the taskbar becomes unwieldy. If I just have the default, I have to open it first before I can switch to another profile (which starts a new session,) so I have 2 Edge icons in the taskbar.

My suggestion would be to add it to the "right-click" options on the Edge icon in the taskbar (or desktop.) I.e., right-click on the Edge icon and have all of your profiles available. Click on the desired profile to open a new window with that profile! Simple!

@Don Kirkham i understand, but if you move all profiles to "right click" context menu it will also be overwhelming or you should put them into the "right click" context menu and in that context menu a sub menu. like so:

W5KBh7AmWw.png

Where "Toolbars" should then be Profiles

in my opinion we should have different options so you can choose the option that fit your needs.

a profile drawer like in vivaldi and others:

vivaldi_NWa9S93Gp4.png

or if you have just a few profiles: pin them in the desktop or taskbar.

another issue that comes to my mind now is, if you would like to go for the profile drawer window. edge should have some global settings menu that is independent from profiles. now each profile has his own settings. so what will happen if you (person1) opt-in for the profile drawer if you switch to person2 the next time you open edge it will automatically open person 2 which isn't opt-in for profile drawer so you should opt-in also for person2. thats not efficient. making a global settings menu gives us the possibility to have profiles use the same settings for example extensions you have to do it over and over again for each profile. in the global settings you should be able to install extensions that are the same for each user, etc ...

I completely agree and like the option to put all of the profiles in a submenu!
@quintendc's request is actually short of what I think MS need to do with profile management (because, frankly, the default Chromium profile management--which all Chromium-based browsers seem to leave untouched--sucks).

1) Users should be able to designate a primary (or default) profile.
2) Users should be able to set profile launch parameters, choosing from:
A) Always launch the primary profile only;
B) Always launch the primary profile plus any additional pre-designated profiles;
C) Always launch the primary profile plus any profiles which were active at the time Edge was last closed;
D) Only launch any profiles which were active at the time Edge was last closed;
E) Launch with a list of profiles so the use can select a specific profile to launch (as per @quintendc's suggestion)