blocking ads without third-party extensions.

Steel Contributor

Hello. I'd like to see a built-in ad blocker like in opera. I think this feature will be useful and you don't need to install third-party blockers. also, in the case of your own blocker in edge, the problem of banning blockers will be solved.

52 Replies
Seriously?
what are those extension icons on the browser toolbar then that look like adblockers?
and it's not an add. it's part of the website's UI that is now broken by using strict option. lol

@HotCakeX 

Strict:

Capture.PNG

Balanced:

Capture1.PNG

Basic:

Capture2.PNG

Quoting myself again:
"what are those extension icons on the browser toolbar then that look like adblockers?"

@HotCakeX 

this is the strict settings on YouTube, one of the most popular websites in the world with my ublock turned off.

Annotation 2019-09-01 221051.png

@HotCakeX 

Broken but not unusable.

Extensions:

Privacy Possum - a tracking blocker (not an ad blocker, but you already knew that -right?)

Cookie AutoDelete - eats cookies - right?

Bitdefender Trafficlight - blocks phishing and malware sites, right?

So Tracking Protection is tracking protection which does happen to block some ads, as faulty as the implementation may be. Seriously! LOL!

Not right Lmao
all of them can have any unwanted effect on website loading. that's not how tests are done.
on strict mode, instead of blocking the tracker, it deletes the place it occupies on the web page, that's how it makes you think it's actually blocking ads. ;)

@HotCakeX 

I've tested Tracking Protection every which way - by itself, with µBO in easy mode, medium mode, etc. It's not a bad tracking blocker and it does block some ads regardless of your view, but it's for the-set-and-forget crowd - whichever way they use it. However, its implementation is limited if one expects more from it than what it is. 

I've tested it too that much.
It's not "my view", it's the reality and how it works.
on strict mode, instead of blocking the tracker, it deletes the place it occupies on the web page, leaving things broken.
so it's practically useless.
balanced = 99% ads shown but websites don't break
strict = 98% ads shown and websites do break

it does great job at tracking prevention but it's so bad at blocking ads without breaking websites.

@nikitat1260 Yes, one of the big reasons people switch to chrome is to get rid of the "try Google Chrome" Google ads. If they blocked ads, this problem would be solved.

@HotCakeX 

Sadly one has to spend time on finding a solution to block ads, i.e. spend time on comparing ad blockers, reading reviews, checking comments on forums, etc.

I have been using Firefox many, many years. However, at one point in time I switched to Chrome as I almost spent more time on trying so solve issues with FF than using it. 
I had to use an ads blocker with Chrome (uBlock Origin).

On Android Chrome was terrribly slow and I changed to Opera - being a fast browser, also on Android.

I am quite happy with Opera, but wasn't aware that it was bought by some Chinese company a couple of years ago.

So I was pleased with Edge Chromium.

Microsoft does need to improve the ad blocking part though.

Have to use yet another extension...

BTW: Probably I am not the only one wishing to use the same browser both on desktop PC and their Android device. This in order to sync data. Hence, if Edge for Android is being used, one also needs an Android extension that blocks ads .

=

Edge vs Opera - blocking adsEdge vs Opera - blocking ads

@nikitat1260 Youtube ads serve a purpose, though. Unless your watching a video posted by a corporation, many youtubers rely on the ads you watch.

Use ublock origin + ublock extras (only for Chromium based browser)
it's the best and most effective one.

plus lots of filters available for it
filterlists.com/

Hello. It seems Privacy Possum is down in the chrome extension page... Do you know any other nice alternatives? I'm looking forward to the SugarCoat by Brave, but it's still under development...

@FrankDeNunzio