blocking ads without third-party extensions.

Steel Contributor

Hello. I'd like to see a built-in ad blocker like in opera. I think this feature will be useful and you don't need to install third-party blockers. also, in the case of your own blocker in edge, the problem of banning blockers will be solved.

52 Replies

@Dennis5mile You can also add the extension too this version of Edge. I just tried it and it worked fine. I uninstalled it because I only need one blocker, but I tested it and it worked. It's in the Google Chrome Store though, so click the link below. You don't need to log in to an account to add it. Just click on "Add to Chrome" (Yes, we're on Edge but it will still add the extension to the new Edge just fine). Most Chrome extensions download and work with Edge Chromium because they're both using the Chromium engine as their source. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adguard-adblocker/bgnkhhnnamicmpeenaelnjfhikgbkllg?utm_sou...

(That is if this is the adguard you were talking about)

Yes, that is the correct one. And as much as I hate the idea of downloading anything from there, I did it... lol

Thanks for the link. Using ublock and AdGuard.....

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile I also tried to use adguard, but refused it because I noticed a decrease in page load speed. I don't notice that with ublock.

@nikitat1260 

Edge Dev has Tracking Protection built-in. Edge Beta has a flag which can be enabled via the experimental flags interface. It offers 3 levels of protection: Basic, Balanced and Strict. I've found Strict works well without breaking any sites yet. It offers the ability to make exceptions for websites you wish to support via a fly-out which takes you to the relevant settings UI, but not directly from the main UI flyout.

Be aware that Tracking Protection will not block in-video ads on YouTube. These are getting harder to block now that many more are in-stream ads from the same content provider. If all you want is adblocking the built-in protection is very good. 

If you want to increase your privacy in addition to what the Strict setting provides I highly recommend the Privacy Possum extension, which will block many more forms of tracking not blocked by Edge. Privacy Possum actually takes on a heavy load with Edge built-in, e.g. compared to using PP with µBlock Origin. Otherwise, Edge built-in Tracking Protection is another jewel in the crown of the new Edge!

Tracking protection built-in has nothing to do with ad blocking though.
you can see the description in the settings. it only blocks trackers, not a single add.
less relevant ads yes but still no ad blocking.
strict setting is the worst option. it neither blocks ads nor lets user use website normally without breaking it.

the community made filters here take of everything and they don't break anything if used in the right extension: https://filterlists.com/
(advertisements, trackers, malware, and annoyances.)

@HotCakeX 

Your reply sounds like you haven't used it. My experience is the exact opposite of yours, regardless of what the description says. I happen to prefer µBO in medium mode and I'm quite familiar with community filter lists, but my reply was in response to the OP.

@FrankDeNunzio I understand what you're talking about, but opera is successfully coping with blocking ads on yutube. I think it's important to block this type of ad. and I'd like to see that in the edge.

On the contrary, i've been using it since it was first introduced. it's turned on and set to balanced. strict does what it says and breaks random site UIs.
every once in a while i disable my ublock origin to see the website im using with ads, i won't even get surprised because nobody expects tracking protection to do the ad blocking task.
i don't know how you jumped into conclusion that they are the same.

by the way what do you mean by " I happen to prefer µBO in medium mode " !? confused ublock with tracking protection again?
My issue with Adblocker Plus (ABP) is that it will allow ads to filter through if they are deemed “friendly”. What is determined to be “friendly” is pretty much what was said a few posts up by sales. I’m on Adblocker now, been on it for about two weeks. It’s fine, it does what it’s suppose too, but once I get Ublock working properly again I’ll go back to that as that was my main/original ad blocker extension.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/13/12890050/adblock-plus-now-sells-ads

* uBlock Origin and uBlock are two different adblockers. *

I was using AdBlock Plus in the last 5 years or more. 

This week I changed to uBlock Origin and I will never use AdBlock Plus again because uBlock Origin is much better in many aspects. (thanks @HotCakeX for your suggestion). 

But I think it will be wonderful if Edge Chromium had an internal adblocker so strong as uBlock Origin and optimized to not impact to much the memory use. 

@Dennis5mile 

I believe this is not any special Microsoft development and just the 'adblock' that is built into chrome by google. I use quotation marks since it is an advertising (Google) friendly service that aims to only optimise advertising by ensure ads fit certain guidelines and doesn't tend to block anything.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/09/chrome_ad_blocker/ 

uBlock Origin and uBlock are two different adblockers.

I was using AdBlock Plus in the last 5 years or more. 

This week I changed to uBlock Origin and I will never use AdBlock Plus again because uBlock Origin is much better in many aspects. (thanks @HotCakeX for your suggestion). 

But I think it will be wonderful if Edge Chromium had an internal adblocker so strong as uBlock Origin and optimized to not impact to much the memory use. 

@HotCakeX 

Different surfing styles may account for our different experiences. There is no confusion about tracking protection and ad blocking. µBO used in advanced user medium mode takes full advantage of its wide-spectrum blocking ability and is not simply about ad blocking or tracking protection. In the right hands it can block malware and act as a virtual firewall for the browser - even with a very limited number of custom filters or the limited filter lists recommended by its developer. Maybe you are confused about µBO?

I think Edge's tracking protection is good for what it does, especially for the set-and-forget user, which I am not. And this is why I made this suggestion re: Tracking Protection  

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-August-29/m-p/829765

ublock origin has no medium mode. if you say it does then show me the exact screenshot.
mention some of those sites where Edge's tracking protection blocks ads.

@nikitat1260 

Your suggestion is a good one. My YouTube friends swear by Opera citing this reason among others. I believe Edge can ramp up features like you suggest, like giving more granular control directly from the address bar fly-out to block scripts, etc. Brave browser has incorporated some of these fairly well in some of its versions, but 

That doesn't answer any of my questions and it's unrelated lol

i didn't ask how ublock works o.O cause i already know it.

@HotCakeX 

You asked me to show you where medium mode is. Either you didn't read the relevant Wiki section or you need it spelled out for you:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode:-medium-mode

Capture.PNG

Try reading the entire wiki and you may learn something. :lol::lol::lol:

You seem to have confused it once again, i was referring to "medium mode" as an option in the ublock origin's UI, not in some wiki article page.
of course i know that article and know that there is no such thing as medium mode to select in ublock origin's UI or options that's why i was surprised.

@HotCakeX 

Of course you won't find it in the UI. Mode is a method of use, i.e. user mode, which was my original reference.

As to Tracking Protection, example #1 is Balanced Tracking Protection and shows the top banner, and example #2 is Strict with no banner:

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG