YouTube full screen playback is choppy

Brass Contributor

When YouTube video playback is in full screen mode and the video controls are on the screen the video playback is not at all reliable. The framerates go through the floor and the video playback gets very choppy.

23 Replies

@382iou thanks for reporting this problem. Can you go ahead and file a feedback using the smiley so that we can get the relevant logs and debug this further?

@GurpreetV  I did that before replying in this thread, here are two more photos for system context.

Gpu's Video Acceleration CapabilitiesGpu's Video Acceleration CapabilitiesMedia Internals Video Acceleration LogMedia Internals Video Acceleration Log

I've finally been able to narrow down why the video playback was an issue for me when using Microsoft Edge Insider. nVidia Fast Vertical Sync, yes... nVidia Fast Vertical Sync was the issue.

If you open the nVidia Control Panel and scroll down the list of settings under Global Settings in Manage 3D setting, you'll find an option called "Vertical sync". Changing this to Fast mode can help improve and reduce input lag and help improve overall gaming performance but for whatever reason, it breaks video playback in Microsoft Edge. So in order to fix this, I had to create create a custom profile for Microsoft Edge and set the Vertical Sync setting to simply "on". This fixed video playback after a system reboot.

@trparky That didn't make a difference for me, but disabling Nvidia G-SYNC within the Nvidia Control Panel did. I have been having this problem for as long as I have been using Edge and cannot believe I finally found the issue, it was so annoying.