Worried about Google integration as a negative.

Brass Contributor

I'm seeing a lot of people who don't see it as a negative and it concerns me. I don't want to use anything that's tied into their services by default or that wouldn't prompt me before letting Google access something.

To me, Edge not being tied into Google accounts or syncing data with them by default is a good thing, and I've seen it described as a bug rather than a feature. In general, I really don't want extensions to be accessing Google services, or at the very least to give a warning that they do require them. I think the use of such things really ought to be discouraged because the practice only helps Google and hurts their competitors.

Would it be possible to make sure that, if it has to be implemented, there's a way to turn that feature off or make it prompt for permission rather than just have things silently work with Google services?

6 Replies

@athenian200 I totally agree. Unfortunately, I had to install some of googles extensions to keep up with my everyday surf. eventually, the developers will write for both once dev is released I hope.

Mitch

i want exactly the same function, i'm using edge, it's not for use google services !

Edge doesn't use Google services; they ripped most if not all of them out. As for third party extensions, that's not something the Edge team can control one way or the other.

Microsoft is going towards openness and open platform. even though they removed all the Google stuff from the chromium before implementing it in the new Edge, but it doesn't mean that they also should prevent users from installing extensions from other stores, such as Google's.
so when you install an extension from another web store other than Microsoft's, you would need to rely on that 3rd party web store for future updates of that extensions. you can't also tell extension developers not to use Google servers or any other servers, because they only make their extensions once to work with all browsers using chromium.

in my opinion you shouldn't worry about Google. you can use the new Edge, use bing engine, use extensions from Microsoft's store (which keeps growing and growing) and then you will be fine :)
I thinks it would be nice to warn (in description of the application, on edge store) to mark if an application use tird party services, and what service is calling.

And above all outright ban google analytics for allowed only bing analytics and/matomo analytics

Because i'm a developer so i understand the necessity of analytics, but when i use microsoft services, i don't want to see google analytics autorized in my extensions

@HotCakeX 

I didn't say they had to totally block the extensions, but some of the "issues" people are complaining about could only be solved by letting people sign in with a Google Account on Edge itself, because some of the extensions rely on a Google Account to sign in or sync data. I think there is a line between openness and totally bending the knee to Google to such an extent that Edge can't protect their users from Google at all because they're entirely dependent on Google's cooperation to keep everything working smoothly.

I'm saying if an extension does use Google services, maybe there could at least be a unique warning about that each time you install such an extension and you have to explicitly give it permission. And there could be an option to toggle as to whether those services should be trusted or not. I really don't want to see Google's services treated as "trusted" by default like they are on Chrome. Maybe the user doesn't know whether the third-party extension they just installed sends data to Google or not (some don't and some do, regardless of origin), and I think it's something they have a right to be warned about if they're not using Chrome.

A lot of people who would use Edge, Firefox, or any alternative browser are avoiding Chrome for a reason, and playing too nicely with Google would take a big part of that reason away.