Will Chromium Edge get old Edges amazing smooth and 'rubber band' scrolling?

Copper Contributor

After coming from Mac OS, I loved Edges smooth scrolling. Will the new Chromium Edge get old Edges smooth scrolling, with rubber banding and all when used with a track pad or touch screen?

7 Replies

Smooth scrolling is one of the features that we are working on bring back into Chromium soonest. You can read more about our intentions here.  Please keep updating and using our new browser and let us know how we are doing.

Have we changed the name of MS Edge now to Chromium Edge? Or is it MS Edge Chromium.... Is Google taking over the Edge Browser........

@Dennis5mileHave we changed the name of MS Edge now to Chromium Edge? Or is it MS Edge Chromium.... Is Google taking over the Edge Browser........

I use "Edge Classic" and "Edge Chromium" as a way to distinguish between the two browsers for the purposes of this forum.  Other people do similar things ("new Edge" versus "old Edge", and so on) to make the distinction. 

My sole purpose in using different terms for the two browsers is to avoid nonsensical statements like "Add the ability to automatically clear more data on closing the browser in Edge, and allow the user the option to select what is cleared and what is not cleared upon exit. Edge handles this beautifully. Edge, on the hand, allows users to automatically delete cookies upon exit, but that's all it allows."

Nobody (as far as I know) is suggesting that the name of the browser is changed by distinguishing between the two versions of Edge, and, as far as I know, Microsoft intends to call the new browser simply "Edge" when it is released.  And no, Google is not taking over the Edge browser.

Quite a number of browsers (Comodo Dragon, CoolNovo, Epic, Opera, Rocketmelt, SlimBrowser, Torch and Vivaldi, to name a few) are, like Chrome and the new version of Edge, built on the Chromium base, with significant enhancements.  Firefox (which developed its own engine) and Safari (which is built on WebKit) are (or will be after the new version of Edge is released) just about the only browsers that are not built on the Chromium base. 

We've got a job to do as Edge Insiders -- to help Microsoft ensure that the Chromium-based version of Edge is the best, most powerful, most full-featured browser on the planet when it is released, leaving Google Chrome in the dust.  I'm focused on that, and I'll keep using "Edge Classic" and "Edge Chromium" for the time being, until I see a better way of making the distinction.  If that happens, I'll start using the better terms.

How would you propose we distinguish between the two browsers when we are comparing/contrasting the way the two differ in function and features?

It's my understanding it will continue to be called Edge. And the credit for it is a group, team effort. No, google is not "taking over" Edge. Edge 'belongs' to Microsoft... are just playing nicely w/ others. It made the most sense going forward rather than working on 2 similar paths. Sharing may seem weird, but, in terms of technology its a sound approach for this. And when it comes to speading creadit about, MS may deserve most of it & it's my understanding it was initiated by MS. Certainly, I could be wrong... there's a 1st time for everything. LOL, relax, just kidding! Cheers, Drew
I was really only making a point, that a lot of folks are calling it all different.. Personally I'd rather see it called either Edge Dev, or Edge Can or just plain Edge for the current public one being used. When folks post problems they are running into, is the problem with Edge Can or is it with Edge Dev? We all already know it is Chromium based and calling every problem edge chromium does not tell us which build.

Anyway, my 20 cents worth...
Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile Personally I'd rather see it called either Edge Dev, or Edge Can or just plain Edge for the current public one being used. When folks post problems they are running into, is the problem with Edge Can or is it with Edge Dev? We all already know it is Chromium based and calling every problem edge chromium does not tell us which build.

That makes sense.  When discussing problems, it is probably best to use the Build (and, in both Canary and Dev channels, the Build number, since that changes daily/weekly depending on the Channel). 

My own preference is to report problems/bugs through the Feedback mechnaism, because that gives MS the Build version, system information and a screenshot, all of which are often important for understanding/analyzing problems/bugs. 

I've been using this forum to make suggestions about features, because the Feedback response doesn't seem to be set up for that purpose, and because a community discussion of features is probably helpful.  I've also, a few times, used this forum to offer suggestions/advice to other forum members.

So thanks.  I'll include the build in every comment on this forum to avoid any confusion.

Version 74.1.96.24 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

Any news on if "rubber banding" will make it into Edge Chromium?