When can we expect Edge video and audio features to be pored to the new Edge?

Iron Contributor

I was wondering when some of the nice audio and video features of Edge will be ported to the new Chromium Edge.  For example features such as Dolby digital, audio & video selection, HTTP Live Streaming, webcam access, etc 

6 Replies

For DD enable try-supported-channel-layouts in edge://flags . Everything else is now available. Check Settings - Site Permissions. Read How to Set Per-App Sound Outputs in Windows 10.

@sambul95 Can someone give me a basic explanation of the difference between FLAGS and SETTINGS.   FLAGS looks be be an messy, unstructured way to mess about with a browsers functionality so I'm wondering why you would use that approach rather than the usual SETTINGS menu.

@sambul95 I made the suggest FLAG change and according to http://html5test.com this has not made any difference to the audio and video playback options detected.  Comparison showing differences is attached.

@sambul95 I made the suggest FLAG change and according to http://html5test.com this has not made any difference to the audio and video playback options detected.  Comparison showing differences is attached.

@Half_Penny 

@sambul95 I made the suggest FLAG change and according to http://html5test.com this has not made any difference to the audio and video playback options detected.  

When you ask for features on a forum like this you need to be very specific. Your request is very broad and non-specific. I suspect there will be a long way until Edge team would implement all these codecs support in Chromium, if ever. The flag itself doesn't mean the feature is available, it may be a remnant for now. 

On the other hand, why don't you do the real life tests rather than fingerprinting through websites? Don't forget to adjust System Settings though. Did you try to use a webcam, and was unable to - on what site? Did you try to stream something and can't view it in Edge Chromium? No? Then why asking without trying first? Yes - can you give a link?

@sambul95 You are right however remember that some of us here are approaching this from a sales point of view.  Web sites like www.html5test.com are useful to us to get a quick and simple comparison of browser functionality.  I often get asked Why should use Edge vs Chrome?  By using the results from this web site I can clearly demonstrate that Edge has better audio & video playback which is great for anyone who like hi-def experience.  Edge has better web payment support which is key for anyone who wants to set up a store.  Edge has better device orientation and motion sensing which has got to be better for a games player.

This new Chromium Edge has lost all those advantages and now looks like a repackaging of Chrome.  This now makes it hard to answer that question Why should use Edge vs Chrome? 

I believe Microsoft understand the importance of these features and it would be nice but possibly unrealistic to have a timeline of features coming to Chromium Edge as it makes it easier from a sales perspective to promote the new future.

As for the test site I used I'm always keen to hear from anyone who can tell me if the reports it generates are accurate and worth my time.  Over the past year or two I have certainly found it a useful way to gauge where the development focus has been for the different browser vendors and that at least has been worth my time.