SOLVED

Was IE Mode Disabled?

Copper Contributor

Latest Dev release and the open in IE option under 'more tools' seems to be gone, even though the options to enable still exist under edge://flags.

Has this feature been disabled?  Is there some reg key I may have inadvertently tweaked?  I cant find any announcement of it being pulled so looking for clarification.

21 Replies

@JustinDynamicD 

Sean Lyndersay @SeanOnTwt (Edge team)

https://twitter.com/SeanOnTwt/status/1155975713826099201

Update: the team checked in a cmdline flag that should unblock your scenario. Just add the flag "--ie-mode-test" to the launch parameters and the "Open in IE mode" menu will reappear. Note: in Canary (and next week in Dev) you'll get an reminder infobar on startup. hth.

clipboard_image_0.png
best response confirmed by JustinDynamicD (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JustinDynamicD 

Instructions:
1. Right-click your Edge Shortcut - Microsoft Edge Dev > select properties
2. In target add --ie-mode-test to the end of the line
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\msedge.exe" --ie-mode-test
3. Click [apply]button
4. Start Microsoft Edge Dev
5. You will see an infobar message - "You're using an unsupported command-line flag --ie-mode-test.
This poses stability and security risks." 

Click the [x] to remove the message

6. Enable edge://flags/#edge-internet-explorer-integration
7. Click ... menu > more tools > Open sites in Internet Explorer mode

@Deleted 

why this is so complicated to activate?

@Alexander Jacubowsky  

I have read it was always intended as an option for business only because they sometimes have certain internal websites that only work correctly using Internet Explorer. We were only testing it for them. IE Mode will probably be easy for a company to setup with a simple switch on or off, without editing the start up link when using the new Edge on Windows Enterprise version.

Here is the Official documentation for how to enable IE mode. It's a business and enterprise feature and it's supposed to be deployed using the group policy:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/edge-ie-mode

You can get the Group policy files in here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Early-preview-of-Microsoft-Edge-group-policies/m-...

@HotCakeX 

Please also allow all useres to open an webpage in IE Mode using Menu-Tools-Open in Internet Explorer.

Often IoT devices like video recorder, IP, cams and network devices as well as older Webpages require IE Mode.

So also non Enterprise customer would need this mode.

Best would be to enable normal customers to,add an website to an list of sites always opened in IE mode, without need to implement an group policy and local domain.

Tis list can be saved the way the enterprise list is saved.

@Deleted 

Not only enterprise! 

I have 4 devices require the IE with ActiveX or Java!

I am not am Enterprise customer with an domain.

@Alexander Jacubowsky  I agree with you. If you have not already please click the smiley face to create new feedback to Please allow ie-mode for everyone not just Enterprise customers.

Those types of devices you mentioned are relatively all new, i don't really think they need IE to run. o.O

EVEN if by any chance they need the IE then you can just go ahead and USE Internet explorer that is already on Windows. i don't understand why you need to use it inside the new Edge. O.o

@HotCakeX 

i have an video station from hikvision from 2017. it needs an active x plugin to display video .

it do not work in any other browser but edge in ie mode will also work.

also i have an older network switch from HP that need ie or is mode.

if you mention IE to use, why you integrate IE Mode in Edge? Also enterprise could use IE forever ?

I like the Interface of Edge together with the IE capability if needed.

@HotCakeX I was informed, that later this year, after installation of new Edge the Old Edge and IE will be removed from the desktop, so it can't be used any longer.

Is there any official document or link that says Microsoft is gonna remove IE from Windows?

@HotCakeX 

It seems a lot of Folks don't know or realise IE is in their OS.  IE on its own... w/out any need to pull it up through any browser.  It seems some people are aware that it is in their OS & always has been.

I am not certain if I have actually read it as in anything official... but, it sure is my hunch that once Edge is replaced by Edge C AND IE Mode is available for Enterprise, (actual) IE availability elsewhere would end. Its day are numbered & have been for a while.

The only reason it has lingered (after Edge came along... Edge was a replacement for IE) is for Enterprise.  Ergo, w/ IE Mode for Enterprise, actual IE can be put out to pasture.

For general Users the issue is not a need a for old IE, but, a need for contemporary software... it's vendors & manufactures that need to climb out of the dark ages & not be giving people IE exclusive products.  It's dumb of them to offer stuff (only) for a browser that is hot on the heels of the dodo bird.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Alexander Jacubowsky 

We just asked our web developers and web based app owners to start testing Edge Chromium with their sites.  We do have IE Mode configured in our enterprise, and we can add sites they need to the list, but it sure would be great if they could just manually enable IE Mode for a site so they could just test it right there without having us to update the Enterprise Mode XML file each time they want to test something.

We also have the case where some power users want to use some of the features in SharePoint that only work in IE, but we don't want to put our SharePoint sites in IE Mode for everyone.  Giving power users the option within Edge Chromium to launch SharePoint in IE Mode just when they want to would be great.

Yes, they could just go use IE that's still installed, but we really want to promote the use of just a single browser, Edge Chromium to do it all.  :)

--ie-mode-test seems no longer working.:crying_face:

@Alexander Jacubowsky 

That's odd, I retested it on my PC just now, and it still works.  I'm on Version 78.0.249.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

What is the logic/why are we making it so difficult to leverage this feature for Non-Enterprise? Seems needlessly complicated.

For the short time it worked, I used it _daily_ at work as my computer is not domain joined yet many clients still have older "require ie" business apps. What's the logic behind enterprise lockdown?

I am replying to this thread/topic not, individual people.

1. IE Mode is for Enterprise such that they can have the convenience of running 1 (ONE) browser w/ IE 'piggy-backed' in it.

2. For anybody else thinking they need to use the inferior old dinosaur, IE, itself, is available in their Windows 10 OS.  (Rather than & not w/in another browser.)   Easy as can be to access, directly, not, complicated, at all.

3. IE Mode in the Edge C (beta) Channels has not "stopped working".  Edge Insiders were testing IE Mode for a while.(<-- past tense)

On a personal note: Remember the old saying, "If you love something, let it go".  IE was replaced 3 or 4 years ago for good reasons; yet some want to cling to it. Let the old nag be put out to pasture.  It was good in its day. but, that day is long gone.  If software wants IE then that software needs to be updated.  We have moved to a different browser in modern times & certain programs may need to be modernized, as well.  Or keep using the old IE that is, ALREADY, in your OS.  Enterprise can have IE Mode, others have, actual, traditional, IE.

As for any confusion regarding IE Mode WAS in Edge C & now, it is not, see #3 ⬆

NB: For anyone trying to rationalize non-Enterprise having IE Mode by enabling Flags... PLEASE, notice the following at the top of the Flags page

Experiments

WARNING: EXPERIMENTAL FEATURES AHEAD! By enabling these features, you could lose browser data or compromise your security or privacy. Enabled features apply to all users of this browser.

In other words, they are for temporary testing or trial efforts.  They are not for anything long-term, permanent or involved with non-Insider Builds (once that exists).  Nor are they needed for IE which is, already, available in the Windows Accessories folder without any Flags.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JustinDynamicD (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JustinDynamicD 

Instructions:
1. Right-click your Edge Shortcut - Microsoft Edge Dev > select properties
2. In target add --ie-mode-test to the end of the line
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\msedge.exe" --ie-mode-test
3. Click [apply]button
4. Start Microsoft Edge Dev
5. You will see an infobar message - "You're using an unsupported command-line flag --ie-mode-test.
This poses stability and security risks." 

Click the [x] to remove the message

6. Enable edge://flags/#edge-internet-explorer-integration
7. Click ... menu > more tools > Open sites in Internet Explorer mode

View solution in original post