Use Edge for intranet?

Copper Contributor

Hi 

I hope this is the right place to ask this question, else please delete or move this message. 

I have created a simple intranet site for my company. I link to local files on the pages - like this one  

file:///F:/P-PR og hjemmeside/E Referencer. When a user clicks the link, it should open in windows explorer. 

INTERNET EXPLORER

It works fine in Internet Explorer, but IE messes up the layout totally (w3.css)

EDGE

In the current version of Edge it works some how. Files like PDF opens, but inside Edge, but link to folders does not work - nothing happens.

GOOGLE CHROME

Works super, just as expected, but one has to install a plugin and an extra local program called - as I remember it - LocalExplorer-setup.exe. But I'm not keen to roll that out in the company :\

EDGE CANARY

Nothing happens when I click on a link. 

I really hope this can work somehow, else I don't know how to really benefit from an intranet site. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to make Edge Canary work this way?

Thanks

Bo Rattenborg

7 Replies

@Rattenborg I would not put websites in file system.

Hi Thilo

I’m not really sure what you mean but that?

I have a small php server running on our server, where I host our intranet. So one has to be inside the company to access the intranet. If I can’t link to documents or folders, the usability of the intranet is quite reduced- I think. Of course people can manually copy links and paste them into windows explorer, but it seems quite troublesome. But I might be very wrong having this approach?
I think you're gonna need to talk to an expert on web design and related programming languages. because your current site apparently has problems with every major Internet browser one way or another.

may I ask why you're not using Windows Server's file sharing features to provide access to local files for your clients?

Hi @HotCakeX

You have a point. It seems that what I try do, I do it in a wrong way.

I just thought it was very simple, I have the webpage, the files are there - I just needed to link to them :)

may I ask why you're not using Windows Server's file sharing features” because I did not know of this feature, but I think I need to find out. 

Thanks

I found a solution.

If I link directly to the files via the server name, and not via the mapped drive letter, it works just fine in Edge.

@Rattenborg I missunderstood you. I was thinking all your html files are right in the file system.

@Thilo Langbein ah ok :)

Strange - as I wrote, it works fine in Edge, current public version ( 42.17134.1.0), but nothing happens when I activate a link in Edge Canary ( 78.0.253.0 ).