*Updated* Dev channel update to 77.0.235.5 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders!  Today we released build 77.0.235.5 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  This will be the last version with the major number 77, which means that this release puts us in sync with what’s in Chrome’s 77 release.  As such, there were quite a few fixes and features this week that we believe are significant enough to mention: 

Today's update to the .5 release contains a single fix for the Netflix error D1711-1331.

New features and behavior: 

• Added the ability to never translate pages that are in a particular language.
  • Added a keyboard shortcut for the … menu on Mac.
  • Added a button to maximize the feedback screenshot editor window.
  • Added the ability to resize the feedback diagnostic data window.
  • Added group policies to allow SmartScreen to be managed by organizations.

Fixes for improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash during the first run experience.
  • Fixed a crash when typing in the address bar.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser crashes on startup.
  • Fixed a crash when using the built-in translator.
  • Fixed an issue where opening the feedback submission form crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where opening the Settings page sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where sites that use single sign-on sometimes hang the browser.

Fixes for improved behavior: 

• Changed where app/website shortcuts are pinned depending on how the app/website is installed.
  • Fixed some issues around the shortcut pinned to the Task Bar not showing the proper icon or launching the proper profile.
  • Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes whatever address is autocompleted to start loading on its own.
  • Fixed an issue where videos on certain sites like Netflix sometimes become hidden.
  • Fixed an issue where print preview sometimes doesn’t render all pages.
  • Fixed an issue where search engines that have been deleted reappear the next time the browser is opened.
  • Fixed an issue where invalid data was being shown in certain form autofill popups (for example, email fields had popups containing generic data that did not contain valid email addresses).
  • Fixed an issue where light or dark theme isn’t properly applied to system pages (Favorites, Settings, etc.) on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the X to close a tab sometimes isn’t visible in dark theme.
  • Fixed an issue where sign-in popups sometimes didn’t show the correct window icon and title.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sign-in dialog isn’t big enough to fit its contents.

As always, thanks for being an insider, and keep sending us all of your valuable feedback and suggestions! 

79 Replies

Still cannot play music on amazon music.

@josh_bodner I am using the dev build of Edge. Not sure whats the procedure to access Collections. 

@fsc123 , the shortcut is "SHIFT-COMMAND-COMMA".

@Richard_Bottiglieri 

We are using Microsoft Edge is up to date. Version 77.0.235.5 (Official build) dev (64-bit) on Windows 10

We used the keyboard combination CTRL+SHIFT+COMMA and it didnt bring up anything. I could see the MS Build demos showing an icon in the right of the address bar and couldnt find anything. Can you please help?
This appears to be for Mac only, at the moment.

@josh_bodner 

Things I would like you to add Chrome Edge. (That where not in MSHTML Edge but are in Internet Explorer)
Option to view web page source code with Notepad. As you can then edit and save the code.
Option to save a web page as a 'Web Archive single file' (*.mht)
Please DO NOT REMOVE the option to load *.mht files.

Still unable to login and sync profile with O365 Business account.
(like Google Chrome does)

@josh_bodnerAny feedback received regarding error code with Netflix (D7353-5101) since this latest update? Content autoplays on main screen but not when selected individually.

Anyone know if the syned passwords can be viewed outside the browser somewhere? In chrome you can also see/manage your passwords from passwords.google.com.

WTF. Another reason not to use Chrome (or Google)
Not you are not. It also happens to me.

In any new version of Edge, PLEASE include the ability to right click on anything on the desktop on a website (picture, graph, etc.) to obtain a complete URL. Currently, 

the "inspect" selection in the Edge Dev provides a ton of information, but probably not the complete URL. If it does, then it's currently way to complicated to find out where.

For example, in the olde IE right now, it is EASY to determine a complete URL to whatever you clicked on. One just right clicks on something on the desktop, then selects Properties, and you immediately see a full URL path to whatever you right clicked on.

This is one reason why I STILL prefer IE over Edge. Also the bookmark (favorites)

method in IE is still the best there is!

Thanks so much!

Some thoughts on the New Tab Page ...

I have always wanted, and have in Firefox and Google Chrome, a (built in, not by 3rd party extension) simple New Tab Page with just a search box and some links - links chosen and arranged by me, not what the program chooses as my 'Top sites'. No feeds etc.

I appear to have that here, to an extent, although that is assuming two things I'm not absolutely certain about yet: that the links I wanted and created with the + box, which replaced the ones that appeared by default, will 'stick'; and that the Show Feeds set to On Scroll means the feed won't actually load at all unless I scroll or hit the 'Personalised news & more' button - which I won't, but I'd like the option to not have that button.

Assuming I'm right about those, there are still some features I would really like to see.

1 In Firefox and Google Chrome, there is a three dot menu visible on hovering over the link tile with an edit option for the link, which allows entering a name that is displayed under the icon for the link rather than the www.somewhere.com URL. You really need to add that.

2 At the moment, the choice for the background of the NTP appears to be just blank or a changing image provided by Microsoft. While it doesn't actually matter to me much, I rather think some users would like to be able to pick a particular image for the background.

3 The number of link tiles. Currently in Edge Dev it is one row of 8 - and the positioning of the one row and the search box just looks wrong, unbalanced. Google Chrome has two rows of 5 tiles per row. Firefox has an option of one or two rows, with 8 tiles per row. Personally the best for me is what Firefox used to have: two rows of 6 tiles. I rather suspect that this varies from person to person, but with 8 tiles per row, as in Firefox since ... 58, I think it was, and here in Edge Dev now, for me I can't take them in at a glance and actually have to focus on them individually to find the tile I want and then click, whereas with 6, whether in one row or two, I can somehow take them in just with a glance and just click the one I want without concentrating and focusing them individually. I would suggest and request that in your NTP you provide options for one row or two, AND a user option for how many link-tiles per row. (Although I won't complain if you make it a fixed 6 tiles per row, I'm sure some others will, like the people who pressed for the change to 8 per row in Firefox. I really do think it is quite individual the number different people find most comfortable, so it should be a user choice.)

4 For people like me who want particular links for the 'top sites', there really needs to be an easy way to change the order; e.g. in Firefox and Chrome you can just drag and drop the tiles to swap round the positions. Currently in Edge Dev one has to think ahead and create the links in the desired order, left to right. But if you wanted later to move the last one to the second position, it would mean deleting all but the first link, then  re-creating the one that used to be last so it is now second, then re-creating all the others. Major pain.

I'm hoping some or all of these features are already planned and will turn up in due course. But for any not in the current roadmap I would like to make the case for adding them. I especially would like to see some options that would let me have two rows of 6 link-tiles per row (whatever else they do or don't allow).

@josh_bodner 

I can't seem to be able to set to automatically launch apps from link anymore, and only show me the option to launch the app just for the current time. Is it a bug or is it a change on Edge?

Hi David - I haven't updated to the latest version on Windows yet, but this is definitely there on the Mac. I'll have a look later on Windows too.

@Ian Betteridge  Sorry, which 'this' is definitely there on the Mac? If you are replying to my New Tab Page post, I asked for 4 extra features I can't find in Edge Dev, although 3 and a half of them are in Firefox and Google Chrome.

Sorry @DavidGB - I was replying to your comment about not being able to see syncing for addresses and passwords for the latest build. I have those in the Mac version and (now I've updated) I can see them in the Windows version too. 

@Ian BetteridgeAh. I didn't have them in the new build, when I posted, and there was an answer that at this stage the additional syncing options were only being given to some of us, not all, so that there is a control group for comparison purposes via the telemetry they get from us and my update was in that control group. But there was a second update later that day, and after doing that I DID get password and form fill data syncing. However, I only have the one PC, and I then discovered the Android Edge Beta on my phone still only has favourite syncing, so my PC Edge Dev has nothing to sync the passwords and form fill data with! (It doesn't actually matter to me from a practical point of view as I do my normal browsing on both PC laptop and phone with Firefox, where everything syncs between them: I'm just doing odd bits of testing of Edge on both laptop and phone to stay fully aware of the options in case Firefox goes in a direction I'm not happy with - as it appears it may in the future, at least on the phone.) It was just odd that they put the addition of the new syncing with passwords and form fill data in the entry on the https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-gb/whats-new page, so I thought we were all supposed to have it so something was wrong. They didn't list the new sync options in the list of new features in the post at the head of this thread specifically because it hadn't been given to everyone.

I'm sure it's been reported already, but where is the best place to report (or check for reports of) little layout issues like the fact that in the right-click menu over a tab, instead of saying 'Reopen closed tab' it says 'R eopen closed tab' (extraneous space after the R)?

One other small feature request ...

I dislike and don't use keyboard shortcuts, and for some common functions I like to have a button on the toolbar rather than have to dig into the ellipsis (is that really what we call it?) menu.  I would therefore very much like a customisation option that would allow me to put a button on the toolbar that would open the  'Find on page' dialogue. The fact that Firefox has this but Google Chrome doesn't is one of the reasons I use Firefox not Google Chrome.

(In fact, if a 'Find on page' button that could be put on the toolbar was added; there were New Tab Page options that allowed two rows of six links (whatever else they allowed); and middle-clicking on a favourite in a favourite bar drop-down menu opened the link in a new background tab but left the favourite drop-down menu open; just adding those three things would put Edge Dev ahead of Google Chrome for me without any other changes.)