UI

Steel Contributor
  • Consistency on UI. Add Fluent design effects like shadows and highlight effects.
  • Add History, Download, Favorites button on the top bar like in "old" EDGE.
  • Add History, Download, Favorites on one place. One page with 3 tab maybe?
  • Add a option to display the Open/Save as when download like "old" EDGE.
  • Preview page when hovering it in app bar.
  • The Account tab when press on the bar button is too small (on my device, Surface GO), the text is very small and almost not readble.
103 Replies

@Damix 

Im not sure about the rounded corners on the tab selector. But I do like that they rounded out the url/ search bar. The right click menu does look very good but is not the most consistand with windows.

I have attached 3 files which highlight the tab bar, address bar and fav bar for Old Edge, Chrome and New Edge.

Obviously Chrome and Old Edge look way better when considered the following:

• Address bar:
    • Font Size
    • Nav button size and spread
  • Fav bar icons

Hopefully Microsoft can make some changes when they finally ship this off, otherwise this is a nice productNew EdgeNew EdgeOld EdgeOld EdgeChromeChrome

Yeah, it really really needs some transparency, acrylic and reveal effects, as well as the smooth animations that actually make sense from the old Edge, for example: the context menus had an animation coming from where the cursor actually is, not just some basic fade-in effect.

Yeah, this would be nice if they can also replicate the UI animation eventually on Edge Dev/Canary builds. I don't expect them to happen soon but hopefully before the official public release to replace Edge UWP. This include Reveal Highlight effects which is kinda exist already in Chromium if you check the latest versions of Chrome/Chromium and click the buttons in the browser navigation bar, if its possible to modify the effects to clone the Reveal Hightlight in Fluent Design, that would be great.

About Acrylic material on the titlebar/tab bar area, I can see this a challenging thing to replicate since that area used in Edge Dev/Canary is an actual system titlebar still based on Aero (still exist, just no translucent effects). My guess of possible solutions are:
- Either that Edge Chromium will have its own implementation of Acrylic-like tab bar just for Chromium,
- Implement XAML Islands to Chromium that Edge Dev/Canary uses. So canning the Acrylic Tab bar/titlebar for the meantime.

For me, I would rather have the animations and UI design layout minus the Acrylic to be eventually implemented on Edge Chromium, making it exactly like Edge UWP plus some feature changes and additions from Chromium. That way we have Edge Chromium replacing Edge UWP that still looks consistent to current Windows 10 Fluent Design version. This is an exciting development to come.

@muellech wrote:

Speaking about consistency, I really dislike how the new Edge looks - it is like a Frankensteinian monster put together from Chrome and Windows 10. While the icons have been adapted to the Windows 10 look and feel, most controls have not (or only partially). Most importantly, nothing should be round, neither the tabs nor the address bar (which looks weirdly too large as well) nor the context menus.

Hear! Hear! on the controls being round.  Chrome still looks like it should be on XP and now newEdge does too.  And I don't want to be reminded that this newEdge is Chromium based.  To me it's bad enough that Microsoft gave in, but please don't make me look at "Chrome" all the time.  I hate Chrome (use oldEdge almost exclusively at home and Firefox at work).

Absolutely. Along with privacy and security, UI is one of my top concerns and interest areas for this new Edge.

Definitely ":Add History, Download, Favorites button on the top bar like in "old" EDGE."
yes, even Edge for android and ios has the favorites button that shows Favorites, reading list, download and history

@Elliot Kirk Which is why a "timetable" or something similar, with planned features community can vote on to speed-up the development would be great. Otherwise, everything is just a disorganized mess with people posting their ideas, not even being aware of the ideas of some others-which might be an improvement of their own-because they are too lazy to read them all.

Something like feathub or uservoice could be cool.
it's just a alpha version , so we have to wait and see what / how Microsoft edge team will make . the final version could be out on end of summer or fall this year . as you know bad thing is worse than nothing . so, the team don't have enough time, they should delay the release to end of the year !

@BruceLH @Damix 
Have you tried the "ask where to save each file before downloading" option in Settings? That should bring up the Save As dialog for every download. 

Annotation 2019-05-14 004026.jpg

Well, yes. But this forces you to ALWAYS choose where to save stuff. But what about when you just want it directly in Downloads? IE had a choice, as did Edge. Why couldn't they continue the trend? It's what made them different, since everyone else always force a preset--choose location or choose every time. No way to make a choice for choosing default or custom.

Or at least, that's what my preference would be. No idea about the opener of the problem.

@makuc Could you clarify which specific options you are referring to in IE in Classic Edge? Are you referring to the inline ability to choose "Save" or "Save As" or "Open" as displayed below for every download? Or are you referring to something else? Thanks!

DownloadsOptions.jpg

Yes, this is the one. I guess adding a choice like "ask each time" for those like me would make it awesome, instead of it only being "Save to Downloads" or "Ask where to download".
Thanks for the explanation, I'll forward your feedback to our team!

I agree. 

And I really like the old favorite button on the toolbar and it is way much better design than chrome. 

It doesn't take extra height like the bookmark bar, and it saves a lot of clicks to find bookmarks from the hamburger menu.

@IrinaL I'm currently using the "ask where to save each file before downloading option" and I feel it's about 75% as useful as the old functionality where you can choose each time. This is because there are times where I want to save multiple things to the same location so using the Save was more convenient for those cases. 

While on the subject, I've also found myself really missing the Open option as well. I didn't realize how much I used it until it was gone. I use Edge Canary for most everything but I find myself going back to Classic Edge just for this one feature. The use case for me is grading student assignments. They are all submitted online and having to download each one, then individually open each file is very time consuming. Being able to simply press a single Open button is a huge time saver. I know it doesn't sound like it but over the course of 20+ files it really adds up. I think this would be the case for anyone that has to open a lot of little files in fairly rapid succession. I realize this isn't a common scenario but for those of us that are doing this it is a major efficiency boost.

@IrinaL I'm currently using the  "ask where to save each file before downloading" option but I'd say it's only about 75% as useful as the old Save | Save As feature. This is because I often save multiple files to the same location so the old Save was more convenient for that.

While on the subject of the old file dialog, I've found I really miss the Open option. I use the new Edge for most everything but find myself going to back to Classic for this one feature. The use case for me is grading student assignments. I realize this is a pretty niche use case but I imagine anyone that has to open lots of file in fairly rapid succession would appreciate the efficiency gain. Instead of having to download a file, then open that file, then delete the file, I just press the open button. It really speeds things up for me. 

I totally agree with the other posts,

New edge should keep the UI of original, especially :

• on unified toolbox with bookmarks, reading lists, history and download
  • settings integrated with the UI not as an HTML page

@Damix