UI

Steel Contributor
  • Consistency on UI. Add Fluent design effects like shadows and highlight effects.
  • Add History, Download, Favorites button on the top bar like in "old" EDGE.
  • Add History, Download, Favorites on one place. One page with 3 tab maybe?
  • Add a option to display the Open/Save as when download like "old" EDGE.
  • Preview page when hovering it in app bar.
  • The Account tab when press on the bar button is too small (on my device, Surface GO), the text is very small and almost not readble.
103 Replies
I agree, really would like to see Downloads, History, Bookmarks all in the same popout window just like in Edge. I really like/perfer the old UI rather than the chrome copy. Also, make it so New Tabs open with your "Homepage" if set. Currently i have my homepage set to bing.com and opening a new tab does not open with bing.com, even though i set new tabs to open with a specific url.

@Meier23 

Maybe New Tabs open with your "Homepage" if set is not the best option. There is the Home Button to do that.

@Damix Hey, yeah i have that also enabled, and when i open a new tab it doesn't go to bing.com. Im sure its probably a bug early in developement that they will address soon enough. Its not a critical error, its just convenient to access bing rewards and outlook.

This has good notes but maybe we can link all the different same comments toghether. 1 Vote for this though+

Speaking about consistency, I really dislike how the new Edge looks - it is like a Frankensteinian monster put together from Chrome and Windows 10. While the icons have been adapted to the Windows 10 look and feel, most controls have not (or only partially). Most importantly, nothing should be round, neither the tabs nor the address bar (which looks weirdly too large as well) nor the context menus.

This is all great feedback.  Thank you everyone.  I am ensuring that the right people are seeing this thread.  Keep in mind, we are not done making changes to the user experience, so check back often and let us know if we are getting better or not as we go.

Thanks,

Elliot

@Elliot Kirk 

Is there any kind of development map or plan that we can see? Some way of knowing if, say, the UI development is done, etc. It's no use loads of people talking about the lack of fluent UI if it's never going to happen, etc. Or even timescales for new edge as an insider build and planned full release?

Give them time, Chromium already came with a UI to work with, im sure it will look more Fluent soon. I would love it to use Fluent Design as well@Damix 

We don't have a timetable yet. We do, however, have a lot of work going on. We are also trying to understand which areas are the best investments for our customers. We really want to make sure that we build the features that you all want, and we build them well. Please keep sending us your feedback and suggestions as that is our best guide.
Thanks,
Elliot

Main reason i use Edge is because fluent desing, 

I hate this chrome design 

Bring back Fluent Design to fullest!

@Damix Totally agree.

@Damix  ha escrito:
  • Consistency on UI. Add Fluent design effects like shadows and highlight effects.
  • Add History, Download, Favorites button on the top bar like in "old" EDGE.
  • Add History, Download, Favorites on one place. One page with 3 tab maybe?
  • Add a option to display the Open/Save as when download like "old" EDGE.
  • Preview page when hovering it in app bar.
  • The Account tab when press on the bar button is too small (on my device, Surface GO), the text is very small and almost not readble.

@Elliot Kirk This is the beginning of some really great work.  People will always hate on aesthetics - can't please everyone.  For my part, I like it.  I don't spend my browsing time staring at the menus, but interacting with the content on the page.  But, I do like the subtle rounded edges more.  Also consider that people are more likely to complain than to affirm; my sense - as a service provider myself - is that there has to be a certain amount of dilution applied for vague complaints ("it's new I don't like it").

Specifics: one thing that was problematic with UWP Edge was the font rendering.  Font rendering across UWP has been really bad across all the apps, even on quite high DPI monitors.  It is nice to interact with fonts properly rendered, as they are in the preview build.  Very good work.

My hope is that this will spur Microsoft to get back into the consumer service game, reimagining Maps and Groove for the Android/iOS platforms in order to present the user with a viable alternative ecosystem to the Google hydra.

The thing that really struck me when first using the Edge Insider was how washed out all web pages look. For example, the MSN home page looks awful compared to to that rendered in Edge for Windows 10.

Is this how it's supposed to look and Edge for Windows 10 simply exagerates the colours to make it look good? Or does Edge Insider have an issue with rendering things correctly?

For me, this simple issue is ruining the experience.

• Add back the option to "Always clear this when I close the browser" under the "Clear browsing data" settings
  • Make the color used to highlight content in the url address bar the same as the one Windows 10 uses
  • Make the tab area transparent if transparency is enabled in the Windows 10 settings

@Damix 

• Add Dark Mode (ouch, my eyes!)
  • Add "Set tabs aside" feature or provide an Extension (My No. 1 feature from legacy Edge)

I would like to add more:
- Make new Edge Chromium to have exactly similar UI from existing Edge UWP like with sharper corners, menu animations, button sizes, titlebar height (currently they are few pixels different and the window buttons are in different sizes than on Edge), and few UI animations that in Edge like icons.

- Maybe not a popular suggestion, but it would be great to have an option to auto-hide the scrollbar and only shows the small bar when you scroll. This maximize the webpage window more. It just looks so modern and nicer with web sites not having out-of-place looking scrollbar.

- Slide/Swipe gesture animation for Forward and Back like on existing Edge UWP. Chromium already does support this gesture, but only arrow shows up which is not an obvious UI action behavior like a whole webpage slides left or right. Old Metro IE actually did it best as there is a saved preview of the webpage as you swipe.

- Edge Chromium hopefully will make touch usability as a priority too, hopefully even better than Edge UWP. We need a tablet mode that is optimized for tablet use especially on smaller screen sizes, which is also beneficial when you snap Edge window.

- New Tab pinned websites needs to have drag-and-drop functionality. Make it square like Live Tiles and have sharper corners for design language consistency. Just retain the shadow effect and add Reveal Highligh effect from Fluent Design. It needs to allow more pins too.

- New Tab page needs to follow dark theme also.

That's all for now. Looking forward for more Edge Chromium improvements! :)

The way I see it, Microsoft better make this new Edge just like the original one, the UI was perfect, and only modify the under-the-hood stuff like they did now to use chromium javascript engine instead of Chakra.

I like the new aesthetics as well...:thumbs_up:

Indeed! It would be perfect if they can literally copy the Edge UI pixel by pixel would be fine. For now we just need same Edge we know and love but based on Chromium included its added improvements that Edge UWP didn't have.

Basically clone copy of Edge UWP at UI level, but Chromium underneath.

Edit: I would also want to add, keep the New Tab page, this one is definitely an improvement from the old Edge UWP.