Top feedback summary for September 10

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, I’m back again with another update to our summary of the top feedback we’re hearing from you. This week there are only two changes to the list:

• We are tracking and working on a bug where some website elements flip upside down when you switch tabs
  • We are working on building search functionality into the extensions store, but we now believe it will be delivered in November instead of October.

Here is the updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for September

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

New!

Planned for September

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

3 weeks

Planned for September

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

3 weeks

Planned for September

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

3 weeks

Planned for September

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

3 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

3 weeks

Planned for October

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

3 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

3 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

3 weeks

Planned for October

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

3 weeks

Planned for November (Updated)

Enable search in the extensions store

3 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

1 week

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

1 week

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

1 week

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

1 week

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

3 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

3 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

3 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

3 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

3 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

1 week

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

3 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

3 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

3 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

3 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

3 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

64 Replies

@HotCakeX 

For example

https://www.webtekno.com/marvel-in-twitter-kullanicilarinin-agir-kafa-buldugu-yeni-loki-logosu-h7292...

This page have twitter video with "Person who designed that logo" tag ( end the of page ) but i cannot play

Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge is up to date.
Version 78.0.268.3 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

Oh that cute dolphin?
i can see it even with ublock origin adblocker.
it's a GIF
Version 78.0.274.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

are you using any adblocker extensions?
what's the status of Tracking prevention in Edge insider settings? edge://settings/privacy

@HotCakeX Yes, i am usin adblock but already tried to pause on this site for play vide

Tracking prevention is on abd Balanced (recommended)

@Onur01651 

My tracking prevention is set to basic. you can also try it or even turn it off see if that makes any difference.

it might as well be a bug in Dev channel which you have to wait for the next update to get fixed.

@HotCakeX  i made both of bu no change :(

Look, I installed the newest Edge insider Dev on Windows Sandbox now.
Version 78.0.268.3 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
went to your website:
https://www.webtekno.com/marvel-in-twitter-kullanicilarinin-agir-kafa-buldugu-yeni-loki-logosu-h7292...

and i could play that gif/video dolphin without any problem.

I did Not change Anything in the Edge Dev settings, only installed and went straight to that website. so it does work but something is preventing it from loading at your end.

please do the follows:
1. reset all Flags to their defaults: edge://flags/
(take a screenshot or note so you can enable them again later)
2. temporary disable all of your extensions: edge://extensions/
3. Reset Edge Dev settings: edge://settings/reset

report back the result
The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

I feel the opposite, I actually prefer the current size over the size in Chrome, as someone with a visual impairment who also uses a touch screen from time to time I find the larger address bar and tabs more accessible.

@JarleH for the Dev channel, every weekly update shows you a welcome page upon startup (for example, this week's showed you https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/welcome/update?channel=dev&version=78.0.268.3).  If you click the "more" link on the first tile titled "Dev channel update for September 10", it will show a button for the Change Summary, which brings you to our weekly release notes post on this forum.  That tile will be in the same place every week.  

Also @Deleted the change list for each Dev release is basically the same as a week's worth of lists for Canary releases, except that individually, the notes for each Canary release would be too short to be worth reading, and we've got many more users on Dev than we do Canary.  

@josh_bodner I'm Edge Canary user and I prefer to get the change list  , even if it is useless. 

@David Rubino 

With regard to the planned inking for PDF files, can we also have the ability to do basic form fills? Would be great to do everything in one place without downloading the PDF and then opening it in Acrobat Reader for form fills. 

Thanks!

@HotCakeX Dear, tnks for help.

I did all of your write and fixed only after reset ( edge://settings/reset )

Maybe adblock made error on my browser, so i ll use ublock origin adblocker

Tnks for help again

You're welcome, good decision :)
I am running the beta branch, so I am missing some kind of internal patch notes/summery/etc.
Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge is up to date.
Version 77.0.235.25 (Official build) beta (64-bit)
I vote to let them use Gmail but have them do so by making a new Microsoft account with their Gmail ID. Unless @HotCakeX was thinking they'd sync and do everything back to the Google account; or use OAuth (sorry long time no develop is OAuth a thing anymore?) to log in?
That's good actually. Microsoft lets users create a new Microsoft account with non-Microsoft Email addresses. so if someone already has a Gmail account and don't want to have yet another Email ending with outlook.com or live.com to use sync in Edge browser then they can just use their Gmail.

@ghultstrand 

I just don't understand this wish to be able to login to Edge with a Google account. I have Edge set to save passwords and login automatically, as I have set in Firefox (the browser I actually use,as Edge is missing several features I need ATM) and Google Chrome. In both Edge and Firefox, if I go to a Google page, like Gmail or Keep or my Google account page, the page loads with me logged in, just like in Google Chrome. In fact in both Firefox and Edge I have google.co.uk (as I'm a Brit) as one of the tiles on my home screen and new tab page. If I just click on that, I have the Google home page with the My Google Account link and Gmail link and nine-dot-square that produces the dropdown menu of all the Google web services all at the top just as in Google Chrome, and I'm auto-logged in to all of them. Just as in Firefox and Chrome I have a favorite bar link that sends me to the outlook.com Mail page, where I'm autologged in to Microsoft and there's the dropdwon link to my Micorosft account and all the Microsoft web services. The only really significant difference in experience between being logged into the browser as opposed to web pages is where the synced data is stored - Mozilla, Microsoft or Google servers - and which browser on my phone I can push a page to. Do people actually want their Edge to sync via Google's servers rather than Microsoft's? If people keep on wanting to open Google web services and/or switch Google accounts, then just make  Google.com or the local country Google main page a home screen and/or new tab page tile, or put it in the favorites bar - it makes about 1 more click to get to the Google services and account than using Google Chrome.

Well said, I also was a bit puzzled on the logistics of it / why go through the trouble.

@David Rubino 

Can the Edge team make a zoom level icon similar to the way Firefox does it when a page is zoomed in? I use a wireless keyboard with a touchpad, sometimes Edge misinterprets two finger scrolling as pinch and zoom instead and zooms in the page. This happens in Firefox as well but in Firefox a zoom level icon shows up and all you have to do is double click it to reset the zoom back to 100%.

In Edge I have to click the little magnifying glass then click reset. This happens at least once or twice a day; those little extra clicks start to add up. Even better, it would be nice if there was a way to disable zoom altogether or maybe just disable the pinch and zoom option.

@David Rubino I'd like the ability to use a custom search engine instead of bing, I find that it doesn't have the same results as bing. 

@David Rubino 

About the issue "Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs":

I've found the solid re-create process and website about this:

http://www.nandani.sakura.ne.jp/jstest/graph_vbar/examples/

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_0.png

This example use the graph library of Tutorial site "HTML5JP". HTML5JP was closed on this summer, but its graph library is broadly used by many of websites.

And, I have some findings: I've tried it with beta and canary builds, but it not recreated. Only the DevBuild 78.0.268.3 have this issue.

I wish that this information helps you.

best regards, 

Mamoru Satoh