Top feedback summary for September 10

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, I’m back again with another update to our summary of the top feedback we’re hearing from you. This week there are only two changes to the list:

• We are tracking and working on a bug where some website elements flip upside down when you switch tabs
  • We are working on building search functionality into the extensions store, but we now believe it will be delivered in November instead of October.

Here is the updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for September

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

New!

Planned for September

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

3 weeks

Planned for September

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

3 weeks

Planned for September

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

3 weeks

Planned for September

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

3 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

3 weeks

Planned for October

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

3 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

3 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

3 weeks

Planned for October

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

3 weeks

Planned for November (Updated)

Enable search in the extensions store

3 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

1 week

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

1 week

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

1 week

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

1 week

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

3 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

3 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

3 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

3 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

3 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

1 week

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

3 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

3 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

3 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

3 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

3 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

64 Replies
Such a great suggestion!

@David Rubino 

Still no entry for adding middle-button on a favorite in the favorites bar menus or the button menu opening the favorite in a background tab but leaving the menu open so more favorites can be opened at the same time without having to re-open and re-navigate through the menus for each. Which EdgeHTML Edge, Internet Explorer and Firefox all support, but Chromium Edge, like Google Chrome doesn't. (Or doesn't have to be middle-click, but something easily done with one hand, which CTRL-clicking isn't - I'm disabled and do most of my browsing semi-reclined with the laptop off to my right side, doing pretty much everything but writing the odd post or email just with my right-hand on trackpad and keyboard where necessary.)

As it's a function I've been using heavily many times a day every day since round about 2005, I won't use a browser that doesn't support it.

As it hasn't even entered the nebulous, no-date Under Review list despite there being a thread about it from months ago, and my raising it in the previous Top Feedback and dev release threads with supportive replies from some others, clearly you either think it's impossible for some underlying reason in the Chromium base, or you aren't prepared to look at it for at least several months. As I'm not going to use Chrome Edge - Canary, Dev or final release - until/unless this is addressed, it's clearly a waste of my time installing and checking each Canary and Dev release to see if this feature has been addressed (and that is all I do with each release: check this one thing, as without it I won't be using it); as it's also a waste of your time reading my repeated posts about it. I shall therefore give up on the Cgromium Edge testing, and maybe come back in three months to see if it's even made the under review list.

If, in fact, you already know you are not going to implement it for whatever reason, like something in the  Chromium base, I would really appreciate it if you would just say so. My disability means that all computer use costs me pain, even reading, let alone writing; so saving me useless checking for the appearance of this feature if in fact you KNOW it's not going to appear by just honestly saying so now will actually give me a better feeling towards MIcrosoft than eventually finding I've been suffering pain for no purpose while you maintain a stony silence.

@Anthony Hart 

A very very nice idea. 

Another useful feature would be to allow us to target browser profile in which links open. For example - I have Personal and Work profiles. Personal has extensions and stuff like music playlists , while work is purely for work systems. When clicking on a link from an email for example I'd like to target my work profile. Ideally this should be done via a selector (similar to the default app selector in Win10), or have the ability to set a profile as the ultimate 'default' browser (eg on my work machine I'd set my work profile as that).

@DavidGB 

You can already do that in Favourits bar or Favourits --> Manage favourits and clicking Middle Mouse Button on favourits will open them in background tabs. Checked on  Version 78.0.262.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

@Maxim_M 

That is a genius of a idea. A must have.

@David Rubino 

I really enjoyed the sync Microsoft Account login and enjoyed even more when you bring sync AAD account, but not everyone are on AAD, so why not sync with local Active Directory?

It could have an ADMX template so it can sync with AD account.

@David Rubino 

How about  adding a built in video downloader.  Some users don't like to trust third party extensions since adding those give them (extension vendors) permissions to tinker with web site data. And we don't know what they do with read and change permissions.  And can you add built in support for Tor mode (Onion links) . Currently Chromium based Brave browser supports this.

I'd love to be able to use the "Read Aloud" feature while working with PDFs. I still use the non-chromium Edge for that reason alone. And this would be specially good because of the improved high quality voices available now!

@David Rubino 

Where can I find patch notes for each new build that is pushed out?

Why not a patch note link or text in the About page?

I wonder whether that built-in video downloader would support Youtube videos :)
it might be unrelated to your request but I use a free piece of software called Jdownloader (jdownloader.org) and it works without extension. so all i do is to copy the link of the page where there is a video to my clipboard, like YouTube, Vimeo etc and it automatically starts downloading it. supports tons of websites

@David Rubino 

Add back the ability to click buttons in the context menu using right-click. This used to be such a great way to quickly navigate the web but it was removed a while ago. 

@David Rubino 

Here's one I just noticed: this right-click menu isn't respecting dark mode! (I have both Windows 10 and Edge set to dark mode). If this isn't technically an Edge bug, can you please ask the Windows team to fix this one?  menunotdark.png

Also if you're running in dark mode then that black is even harder to see...

@David Rubino 

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

Why? I see this as a silly change - spend time on more important things like pages flipping upside down,

@David Rubino 

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

99% of download files are used only once

@David Rubino, synching favorites seems to be broken in the latest BETA and DEV builds if you're starting out on a new PC or new profile.  Other sync pieces come down, but favorites do not.  Happens on Windows and Mac.  Thanks.

We get a weekly changelog for the Dev channel, but how about a changelog for the Canary?

Also, how can "Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System" be still "under review"? It is your browser running on your operating system - why not follow the operating system user experience guidelines?

@David Rubino I gave feedback for edge before but no reply.

If a web site have twitter video i can not play it.

I can play it only on "twitter.com"

What is the problem?

Which Edge insider channel?