Top feedback summary for September 10

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, I’m back again with another update to our summary of the top feedback we’re hearing from you. This week there are only two changes to the list:

• We are tracking and working on a bug where some website elements flip upside down when you switch tabs
  • We are working on building search functionality into the extensions store, but we now believe it will be delivered in November instead of October.

Here is the updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for September

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

New!

Planned for September

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

3 weeks

Planned for September

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

3 weeks

Planned for September

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

3 weeks

Planned for September

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

3 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

3 weeks

Planned for October

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

3 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

3 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

3 weeks

Planned for October

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

3 weeks

Planned for November (Updated)

Enable search in the extensions store

3 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

1 week

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

1 week

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

1 week

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

1 week

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

3 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

3 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

3 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

3 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

3 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

3 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

1 week

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

3 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

3 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

3 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

3 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

3 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

64 Replies

@David Rubino

Can the edge team please make the InPrivate icon look like how it was in old edge and internet explorer by making it blue? It's more appealing and less dull if it was like how old edge and internet explorer was like.

inprivate-edge.pnginprivate-ie.pnginprivate-chromiumedge.png

@David Rubino 

1. when you're adding Inking for PDF, can you add Inking for the normal web pages as well? just like The current built-in Edge? also the integration with OneNote.

2. please don't add Googe sign-in to Microsoft Edge if Google don't plan to add sign-in with Microsoft account to their Chrome browser.

3. Please remove the A/B testing from Edge insider Canary. give all Canary users the Same set of features, equally. just like Google gives Chrome canary users all equal access to the set of features and they are united. with A/B testing, it's really confusing and sad to see a group of people can use some useful features but the rest can't.

Your colleagues from the Insider team should definetly copy this idea!
Great to know that user feedback really matters.
Please improve the Android version as well. Would love to select my favourite ad blocker instead of using the laggy build-in one.

@HotCakeX 

I agree.

1. The inking should also be able to be exported more easily though, like as a pdf or PNG that can be emailed easily, or maybe even export it directly to the mail app.

2. The browser has tracking protection, but what use is that when you invite Google in to access all your information directly. Even if Google allows sign into Chrome with a Microsoft account, its still not a good idea.

@David Rubino 

I had the thought, and although this is more of a question for the Cortana team, I'm still throwing it out here.

What if we could have Cortana actively block cyber attacks in real time, protect your data, run diagnostics, and send the data back to Microsoft for them to address. Then Edge could dethrone Chrome as the most secure browser and save users from losing information.

Going one step further, what if with the persons consent, Cortana scans emails and warns them if it is suspicious, if it could be a scam, and if any links or files included in the email were potentially dangerous.

Its just an idea and is probably in the distant future, but it might be a push in the right direction.

If it become a mutual thing then that would be beneficial for both companies and users. Google must adhere to the terms of services and so do Microsoft, it's not like they're going to steal any user data x)
but Microsoft doing it one sided is not good at all

Hi @David Rubino

I see and have seen for weeks that improvements for smoother scrolling are in the works. As very visual person I appreciate that and am looking forward to it.

However, as Surface Pro (4) user I'd rather see enhancements in the way gestures need to be used. I use swiping to the right (command "back") a lot. The "old" Edge was a joy to use with gestures and rather efficient, for going back it was merely a flip with a finger. With the new Edge it feels like having to take a trip around the globe :smile:

Is this rooted deeply in Chromium or can the Edge team do something about this (if it chooses to)?

@David Rubino Is anyone there who actually like the epub function in the current edge? I really love it and I am really upset that it will not show up in the new edge. It gives great sense of unity when you are reading and browsing. 

I second this, I would love to have an ebook open in one tab and take notes in docs in another. The more features this new edge has the more convincing it will be to switch.

@David Rubino thank you for putting "Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge" under review. But please make it happen!!!

And special THANKS for disabling video and audio by default!

I agree with the points mentioned. If you want sign in with google account, change to chrome; this is a program of Microsoft, and chrome will never add startup with Microsoft account, then why would they.

@David Rubino  I am happy to see PDF improvements coming.  One area I feel like Microsoft can support slightly better is the PDF review / annotation side.  I know PDF is adobes standard but I will say working in Legal PDFs are big for our Firm.  The previous EDGE support for PDFs was good but lacking a few keys comment / markup standards that are widely used by apps all over different platforms.  I appreciate what was there (in Old Edge), but If I could request anything its the ability to actually create / update the Table of Contents / "Bookmarks" feature of PDFs along with your standard commenting options in addition to pencil, (Shapes, Text Boxes, Sticky notes, etc.)  The bookmarking of PDFs is such a widely used feature, please consider support for adding / modifying TOC / Bookmarks.

While you can do these things with full separate apps (non Microsoft), they are few and lacking in the Touch / Ink world of Modern Windows Devices, and I feel like Microsoft can polish this area and make working with PDFs in windows a bit more functional then previous implementation.

@David Rubino 

1. Google integration - No thanks. I value privacy - not Google profit

2. Fix the favorites icon

3. Add these buttons to the favorites menu 

clipboard_image_0.png

3. prevent mouse button hijacking

4. Fix Epub

@HotCakeX 

1. When testing products it is more effective to have control groups. So developers can identify the cause of bugs or performance degradation over a vast number of devices and configurations comparatively effectively and hassle-free.

2.Removing or failing to add  Google integration options will shy away a vast majority of probable Edge-Chromium users thus preventing it from becoming a mainstream browser with enough market share to challenge or compete with already dominant Google Chrome and avoid becoming a another spectacular edge experiment that failed to deliver.

3.Whether you like Google or not it should be a personal preference which each user must decide him/herself. There is a saying "Choose the battles that you can win." and another "Show your teeth if only you can bite." I think new Edge-Chromium developers know and follow those very well.

4. For your information I strongly dislike Google myself but have to use Google services out of no choice since competitors lack features or global support. Gap is big enough for average user to have no option but stick with Google. I tried years resisting but had to give in like other failed Microsoft experiments. (Windows Phone .etc) I think essential to success of new Edge is applicability to diverse global web community. Feature lack web browser will hardly a incentive in that direction.

@WindowsUser 

1. they've already divided the group into 3 groups, Beta, Dev, Canary. there is no point in creating even more sub groups.
vast number of devices? it's surely Not as vast as the number of devices the Google Chrome Canary runs on.

2. that's more like your hypothesis. the current built-in Edge or Internet explorer for that matter, don't have low user base because they are not letting people login with their Google account! they are less popular because of how they are made and most importantly, Compatibility with websites and lack of support for extensions.
nowadays a browser without extension support is not gonna succeed.
(Old Edge has a few extensions but that doesn't even count against Chrome's millions of extensions)

3. it IS already a personal preference. people CHOSE to use Microsoft Edge for a reason. people are not paid by Microsoft to use this half-ready browser and deal with the bugs. they use it because it's clean from Google services. the moment they integrate Google services into this browser again is the moment they take away the uses' choice.
Microsoft spent lots of time removing Google services from chromium. there is No reason to integrate them back again.
4. For your information i like both Google and Microsoft, each provide unique services that the other company can't. such as YouTube and Windows OS.
if anything is gonna happen it Better be mutual.
if Microsoft only adds Google login on their side but Google doesn't add Microsoft login to chrome browser then it means Google account is more superior to a Microsoft account.
that's not the path Microsoft should take. they should make such a great browser that everyone would like to use it instead of Chrome.

also it's Not a problem to login with Microsoft account. billions of people Already have Microsoft account because of Windows OS.

@HotCakeX 

I see you are strongly opinionated (I don't mean in a wrong-way).

1. Still my point stands. It will make developers life more easy and you will see feature updates more frequently and make other two channels more stable.

2.&3. Potential users on Android platform (for current edge html mobile and possible edge mobile chromium)will find it attractive to use the google account they already have for syncing cross-platform. If no Google integration Countless users who depend and rely on google services will turn away and retain Chrome. And that bring into life the vicious paradox; less users ,less developers mean less extensions and also less compatibility. That is why I say it should be a OPTION (That means the whole integration"). Surely that won't harm users who don't want to use it as long as it is separated from the core and won't take away your choice.( It can be disabled by default .etc). Yes sure Microsoft removed Google services investing lot of time and effort but I don't think their intention was to make it unavailable rather separate from browser core so it will always be a option (which other browser vendors relying on chromium weren't able to.)

4. Sure billions got Microsoft account but other than logging into Microsoft exclusive websites and services what other purpose it serves (than logging into your PC or X-box)? Are you using Hot mail or G-mail for your daily use? Majority of  third party websites allow logging into them with either Facebook or Google however relevant this matter here. I think what Microsoft trying here is a "game changer" with Bing search in there corner of mind, not a dual ecosystem like Android vs Apple with Chrome and Edge on par to each other. However distant or improbable it might seem they are targeting here is a IE like superiority that once upon a time had been. 

Mutual agreement is less likely as long as Google has a better hand regarding web. They are in a far superior position to reach any sort of mutual deal and Google won't see any point in adding in a Microsoft account other than giving Microsoft a free boon. Before anything mutual going to happen Edge shall be popular enough preferably cross platform. "Bowing to strong wind until you are strong enough not to break" is a favourable strategy in cause of success in New Edge.

*Anything I suggest above won't harm privacy concerned users because they are all OPTIONS that user can disable or enable. Bringing back Google sign in doesn't mean it will  be integrated into browser core rather a feature that  is optional. That is until you sign in it will do you nothing. that is the whole point in Microsoft separating Google services from core. And if this browser  has appeal to both google users and non users it will be a win-win in perspective of Browser.

Wrong, i'm not, just simply stating the facts.

1. it's not related. again Chrome has more users than Edge Canary and they manage the updates and features a lot better. unlike Microsoft, Google doesn't categorizes users based on their country. but Microsoft does. it's not the fault of a user that they are born in a country where Microsoft doesn't want to release its features to. Google doesn't care where the user is from. Everyone is equal and should have access to the same set of features.
currently the features that are missing for some users is ridiculously small, there is no point in not making them available to all of the users of the Same channel.

2. This browser is made for desktop users for now and they are planning to release a mobile Chromium based Edge browser for Android too. but that's not an issue.
Microsoft is already got the hang of Android OS. they have released numerous services and super useful apps for Android and IOS and they all require Microsoft account.
additionally, billions of users in the world already own Microsoft account.
in U.S, the number of Android users is less than the number of IOS Iphone users. so based on your ideology , Microsoft should add Apple login to their Edge too, because in countries like U.S, people use Apple Iphone more than Android phones.
"the current built-in Edge or Internet explorer for that matter, don't have low user base because they are not letting people login with their Google account! they are less popular because of how they are made and most importantly, Compatibility with websites and lack of support for extensions."
it can't be separated from the core. I previously asked Microsoft Edge team to separate Feedback service from the browser process so in case the browser crashes or becomes unresponsive, the Feedback process will still stay responsive and record the problem and cause of the issue, but they said it's very hard. now imagine separating login feature which is Deeply integrated with the browser. that's just not gonna happen. things like that need tight integration with the browser core.

many people agree with the idea that Microsoft shouldn't integrate Google services in their new Browser.

4. what other purpose does Google account serves other than logging into Google-exclusive services?
you are assuming that just because some websites allow login with Google and not with Microsoft account, then Microsoft should help this unbalanced situation and help Google's monopoly. that's the worst idea.
Office package, Windows, outlook, everything is connected together in Microsoft ecosystem. just like Apple's ecosystem.

Google is currently running a Monopoly Chrome superiority on the web, it's bad. there must be a balance and Microsoft is doing the right thing to bring back this balance.
Internet explorer was revolutionary and fantastic at its time. when Microsoft had Internet explorer, Google didn't even know how to make a browser.
don't forget who Google first Took the codes from, yup that's Apple and their webkit.
if Google is in a superior position, Microsoft should do the opposite and bring the balance.
take Steam for example. Epic game store came to bring the balance to game stores by competing with Steam and stop the monopoly.
it doesn't work like how you think. companies don't surrender and give in just because another company is superior. they try to catch up and compete. that's how technology thrives.
won't harm privacy concerned users? in case you don't know, there are people who are afraid of telemetry and diagnostic system inside Windows OS. now imagine what Google integration would sound like. as the users said and i agree with them, when we choose Microsoft, we only trust them and want to hand our data to them, not a 3rd party like Google.

@David Rubino  @matsmcp I agree, please NO to google integration!

A feature request from the public sector is the ability to digitally sign a pdf in Edge with a Smart Card. If the function was added to digitally sign a PDF with a Smart Card, many federal agencies wouldnt have to depend on the 3rd party application Adobe Reader for this function and could fully leverage Edge for PDFs instead. @David Rubino