Top feedback summary for October 15

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hi everyone, this week’s update is a quick one. This week we’re highlighting one piece of top feedback that’s been addressed: You can now remove the Send feedback smiley button from the toolbar.

To remove it, just right click on it and choose Hide from toolbar and it will disappear from view. Once it’s gone from the tollbar, you can still find the option by opening the Settings and more (…) menu and choosing Help and feedback. You can click the Send feedback option here to open the feedback window, or you can right click on it and choose Show in toolbar to put the smiley back. And of course you can always use Alt+Shift+I to open the feedback window directly.

While this item just landed on our top feedback list last week, the feature request was not new and like many fixes and improvements we started working on it before it had enough support to be considered “top feedback”.

Here is the full updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

New!

Planned for October

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

8 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

8 weeks

Planned for October

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

8 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

8 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

8 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

8 weeks

Under Review

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

1 week

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

3 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

3 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

4 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

4 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

6 weeks

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

6 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

6 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

6 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

8 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

8 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

8 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

8 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

8 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

8 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

8 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

8 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

8 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

8 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

8 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

8 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

8 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

6 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

8 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

8 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

8 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

8 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

8 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

50 Replies
I think you have to wait until the next Dev update in 6 days to receive the fix, latest Canary update already fixed it

I am getting the same too. Also please note that yesterday while I was playing a radio station I was getting BSOD. Guys Please fix it @Mapantz @

@David Rubino 

Thanks for update! 

The favicon that appeared while pages were loading is gone, won't it come back in other updates?

@yanngrylls 

@yanngrylls wrote:

@David Rubino 

Thanks for update! 

The favicon that appeared while pages were loading is gone, won't it come back in other updates?

about that, some people here thought it was a bug (while it actually was a new feature), so the developers removed it due to Some people's complains.

I liked it though

@HotCakeX 

Could come back as an option in appearances.

I hope so, there was a flag for called the new tab loading animation or something like that but it's removed as well
So glad to see "Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files" is officially under review. Well beyond any other feature still on the Under Review list, this is my highest remaining priority. If you're looking for reasons to prioritize or decide to do/not do some of those:

For users like me who always want to be asked where to save, this is effectively a necessity for a file we only want long to run it or read it once. Otherwise, we have to pick a location for a file we don't want to keep and then recall where we saved the file (or look it up through Edge) to navigate back there to delete it. For temp files like this, we need to preserve this long-standing capability from IE and Edge. Please.

Ideally, when a user selects to starts to a download in Edge, before the user has selected a save location, the system should start immediately downloading to a temp directory. If the user doesn't select a destination it either stays in the temp folder or moves to Downloads (I don't care which) and copy it from Temp to final destination when download completes, but if the user selects Open or Run, then it never leaves the temp folder saving both the step to select a Save location and avoiding clogging up a user folder. Then, it should either be deleted right away or following the standard clean-up processes for files in the Temp directory.

This would make using Edge much easier. That it's currently missing this feature is the main reason I still switch back to the old Edge when I know I'll be doing file downloading, but more often than not, I stay in the new browser and just grumble that I can't open or run directly (because changing browsers just to open or run a file is an even bigger hassle), so if you're looking at telemetry data, at least for me, it won't accurately reflect my preferences.
Is anything being planned to fix the "hide sites" that keep showing up on my "customized" feed? The sites are listed under the hidden sites section of my custom choices. Yet, articles regularly appear on my feed page. Very annoying.

@Colin - 

Let's make a bigger voice and let the development team know what the user needs.

@David Rubino  I would still like Edge to be able to generate passwords when you setup accounts on sites like chrome does, this is a great feature to ensure we use complex passwords instead of using the same one over and over.

@David Rubino Feature Request : Fullscreen Tab Navigation

Dear Good people at Microsoft,

I kindly request you to improve Tab Navigation while using Full screen. Firefox has made their navigation such a joy to use if you're working on multiple tabs as you can see in the images below. If you have multiple tabs and you want to move to the next full screen tab, all you need to do is to hover your mouse to the tab area, and you'll be able to navigate to the next full screen tab without having to exit, previous tab returns back to full screen.

Microsoft Edge on the other hand requires you to exit full screen on the current tab in order to navigate to the next tab. You have to click full screen button to exit or press F11 THEN Click full screen button again or press F11 to open the next tab. There's just too much unnecessary clicks and pressing buttons if you have work that involves a lot of going back and forth.

Firefox has a decent implementation that improves ease of use. I kindly ask you to relay this information to Edge developers for consideration and implementation. It will be one more reason that Microsoft will give us to keep sticking with Edge instead of jumping back to Firefox.

Firefox Full screen Tab Navigation

Firefox Fullscreen NavigationFirefox Fullscreen Navigation

Microsoft Edge Full screen tab navigation

Edge-2.gif

@David Rubino I would love to see Google Account integration. People who don't want it can simply not use the feature.

What advantages do you think that would bring?

@HotCakeX Bookmark syncing between edge and chrome, web history syncing with google. And all the other kinds of syncing.

@KoshyG 

Google is a data mining company, even if users don't use Google services on Edge browser, the fact that they will be inside Microsoft Edge browser is problematic. lots of people choose Microsoft Edge to get away from Google. Microsoft spent lots of time scrapping Google services and tools from the Chromium source and create a Google-free browser. that doesn't make slightest sense to bring them back.

also if syncing bookmarks is the case, users can already import them from browser to browser using the built in options. and if anything, Google must add Microsoft account support to their browser First.

I want it painted the same as my system-wide Windows Accent Color, actually.

@Henry-Williams1889 

The old Edge has same featureMicrosoftEdge2019-10-1919-08-41.gif

@David Rubino 

I'm also voting for the 'set aside' feature of the old Edge because as a student I found myself and I think many more being very appreciatable about that one.

Also the ability to draw on web pages or even an pdf is really helpful for daily tasks.
Right now I'm fine using the old edge for that kind of task but for future inprovements on the new one are those ones a must have.

Also I'm seeing more battery usage on the new Edge the old one is still king in this scope.

I don't know how much you guys can improve that one because of the new architecture but maybe introducing a low power mode would be an option.

Keep going. :thumbs_up:

@David Rubino 

I've sent to you several times feedback about the Feedback tool in Edge Canary, it doesn't show the screenshot, you always get a black screen.  In Edge Dev work perfectly, I would like to take this issue in consideration because it's hard not to use screenshots to explain anything mostly if you're not an english native like me.

clipboard_image_0.png

I hope you check this.

Great job, loving Edge :)