Top feedback summary for October 15

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hi everyone, this week’s update is a quick one. This week we’re highlighting one piece of top feedback that’s been addressed: You can now remove the Send feedback smiley button from the toolbar.

To remove it, just right click on it and choose Hide from toolbar and it will disappear from view. Once it’s gone from the tollbar, you can still find the option by opening the Settings and more (…) menu and choosing Help and feedback. You can click the Send feedback option here to open the feedback window, or you can right click on it and choose Show in toolbar to put the smiley back. And of course you can always use Alt+Shift+I to open the feedback window directly.

While this item just landed on our top feedback list last week, the feature request was not new and like many fixes and improvements we started working on it before it had enough support to be considered “top feedback”.

Here is the full updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

New!

Planned for October

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

8 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

8 weeks

Planned for October

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

8 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

8 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

8 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

8 weeks

Under Review

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

1 week

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

3 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

3 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

4 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

4 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

6 weeks

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

6 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

6 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

6 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

8 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

8 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

8 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

8 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

8 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

8 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

8 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

8 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

8 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

8 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

8 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

8 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

8 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

6 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

8 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

8 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

8 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

8 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

8 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

50 Replies

Thanks for the update,

Is there Any ETA for when the Edge developer team can make their decisions about the "Under Review" feature requests? most of them are very important to make the Edge browser different than Google chrome and unique.

The Acrylic/Transparent theme, Fluent language design for browser UI, Provide run/open/save/save-as for downloaded files etc.

Please Don't

1. Integrate the new Edge browser with Google in any way.

2. make the browser address bar smaller like Google chrome.

Please Do

1. make the browser UI Consistent, all the button should be square like the rest of the Microsoft products design.

2. Add Read Aloud for PDFs. currently only available for web pages.

3. Add an ability to auto scroll PDF files. when we are reading an article or book in PDF, the auto scroll would help so we don't need to use our mouse scroll all the time.

Glad to see that sync got updated this week for open tabs. Don't allow google accounts to be integrated into the browser because it's completely unnecessary. Also the InPrivate button needs to be painted blue to match edgehtml and internet explorer.

@David Rubino 

Environment friendly feedback - aka recycled since none of it has been done and is  blocking for a browser change

1. Google integration - No thanks. I value privacy - not Google profit

2. Fix the favorites icon - it's still the wrong one

3. Add these buttons to the favorites menu 

clipboard_image_0.png

3. prevent mouse button hijacking

4. Fix Epub

Is epub really needed? It doesn't seem to be major enough like PDF is to warrant putting it in. You could always still install a dedicated epub reader.

@matsmcp 

Hi,

I believe that screenshot belongs to an old Edge classic version, because on the latest Windows 10, it looks like this:

Annotation 2019-10-15 212342.png

And about the other buttons (book/reading list/web ink) that you ask to be added to the new Edge, first the Devs must implement the features for them :)

Don't get me wrong, I love web ink and those unique buttons on the browser toolbar. 

to prevent clutter up there, Edge can put all of the extension icons under on drop-down button

@HotCakeX, please stop asking for squared design. See where Microsoft as a whole is heading towards. The UI is consistent with new design choices Microsoft is making throughout their products.

@eduardobragaxz 

Currently in the Edge insider Canary toolbar, the bookmarks'/favorites' highlight animation shadow is circle while the rest of the shadow highlights are square (e.g the ellipsis menu, extension buttons, collections button, favorites button), that's called inconsistency.

the Edge classic has square UI but this circular UI is coming from google chrome and it's ruining Microsoft's design.

IMO Microsoft should implement their own Fluent Design system to the new Edge insider and get rid of these.

@David Rubino Just another regular "vote" for "Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge" which is the #1 thing I miss from Classic Edge (followed by "Ask Cortana"). When each summary post appears, I look hopefully to see this feature move from "Under Review" to "Planned"!

p.s. I was very happy to see Sync Open Tabs finally appear in Dev on my desktop so now I can pull tabs in from my other two systems -- weirdly, it's still not accessible in Canary on my desktop (while both Dev and Canary on my Mac and my laptop all have this).

@HotCakeX 

Yes it's a bit older edge.

the four buttons should be in the favorites menu. Only displayed when the menu is displayed - just as in edge classic - or at least as it was 

Hi,
I don't have open tabs syncing either,
looks like they haven't made it globally available for everyone yet :(
There has been issues with video playback on certain sites for weeks now. YouTube for instance will work fine, but Spectrum online will break up (looks like a bad satellite connection) - Issue is that it works fine with Google Chrome, so seems to be Edge related.
Yeah I would like a downloads button up

@David Rubino 

Thanks for update.

We really need history synchronization, please develop it.

@David Rubino 

What I'm rooting for:

• Native gestures would be amazing. +5
  • Fixing the new tab slowness (Settings is oddly a terrible offender; see my tests here) +5
  • Changing/removing Bing Search from the home page. Bing isn't the only "secure" search provider.+1 

@HotCakeX
Can't agree more
Edge is Microsoft Edge, it's not another Google chrome.

BTW @David Rubino
Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

@David Rubino thanks a lot for the tab sync functionality. That was the last bit I was missing to make my edge experience complete. Can I ask for one small improvement though. Would it be possible to see the opened tabs on History page (edge://history/all)? It's quite cumbersome to have to go to the menu to open tab from another device.. 

@David Rubino - make all UI elements consistently round or square. Change the border radius of all elements to whatever the Windows UI team has decided on ;)

Currently, the favorites bar hover looks like this:

round.jpg

and it simply doesn't "fit" with the rest the UI.

@David Rubino 

Latest update is causing Edge to crash/close when opening a new tab to some (most) links to a new web page.

If I right click on the link and copy & paste it to the address bar and then go to the web page, it works fine.

@Mapantz Yes, the bug appeared in Canary a few days ago and is now in the Dev version.