Top feedback summary for November 14

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hey everyone, here’s the latest on the top feedback we’re hearing from you.

We’ll start this week with scrolling, where we've landed work to bring an initial set of scrolling “personality” improvements into Anaheim. These improvements focus on the distance scrolled, the animations used to scroll, and some improvements with “bounce” on pen and touch devices. We have more scrolling improvements coming, both performance and personality, and because scrolling smoothness continues to be top feedback, we’ll be sure to let you know whenever something changes.

Two new items this week as well:

First, when we released the new Microsoft Edge icon last week, many of you encountered a bug where the new icon wasn’t showing in the taskbar. We got quite a few reports of this, and we fixed it up and deployed an update a couple of days later. Thanks for your patience as we worked out the kinks there, and if you’re still seeing the old icon anywhere, let us know.

Second, there is a new request to be able to keep specific cookies around even if you choose to clear browsing data when closing the browser. Many of you are asking for this kind of targeted control so you can clear general browsing data but keep cookies that track important state for your most frequently used and trusted sites. We’ll look into this and get back to you on the topic as soon as possible.

Finally, we're investigating the ask to bring inking capabilities to web pages, like those found in the current version of Microsoft Edge. To start this effort, we're hosting a discussion here on the forum. Please stop by and let us know what you'd like to see in the inking space. 

Here’s the full updated list of feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

New!

Addressed

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Planned for November

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

12 weeks

Planned for November

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

12 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

12 weeks

Planned for January

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

1 week

Planned for January

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

1 week

Planned

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

12 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

12 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

12 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

12 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

2 weeks

Under Review

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

New!

Under Review

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

2 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

7 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

7 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

8 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

8 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

10 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

10 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

10 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

12 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

12 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

12 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

12 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

12 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

12 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

12 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

12 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

12 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

12 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

10 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

12 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

12 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

12 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

12 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

12 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

5 weeks

September 24, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

28 Replies

Hi,

the most important problem that we are all facing and made me switch to a different browser as my main is the syncing issues. please give it the highest priority.

the sync servers need so much improvements and work.

• lots of favorites and passwords are being duplicated.
  • when there are multiple devices syncing to the same account, the sync servers get confused and don't know which change from which devices takes priority to distribute to other devices.
  • syncing favorites don't support "icon only" favorites.
  • settings sync don't cover all of the settings in Edge insider browser.
  • favorites are not being synced despite the green sync icon.

Also please drop the Google integration.

Google Quietly Removes "Don't Be Evil" Preface From Code of Conduct

Google has access to detailed health records on tens of millions of Americans

I for one choose to use Microsoft product for a reason..

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

12 weeks

@David Rubino 

I'm sorry, but if I wanted a browser that the worlds largest data mining company had any access I'd be using Chrome....    And I truly hope that you are removing Anything Google from the Chromium coding.  

Dennis5mile

I don't think google login should be added to the browser. Google Chrome uses Google accounts. Firefox uses Mozilla accounts. Microsoft should stick to their own accounts. 

If more elements from Fluent Design are going to be added to the browser I that more squared off tabs is a must. It would look better and on touch screens it would be a lot nicer when moving tabs. 

Hey can we get the options to "Match whole word" and "Match case" when we use Find on Page (ctrl + f)? I don't know why this feature was removed or has been implemented considering how useful it is.

@David Rubino Please implement Set Aside feature. Pretty please!

Ich hoffe, dass das Format des Ordners in den Favoritenlisten schöner wäre

@David Rubino there is a new request to be able to keep specific cookies around even if you choose to clear browsing data when closing the browser. Many of you are asking for this kind of targeted control so you can clear general browsing data but keep cookies that track important state for your most frequently used and trusted sites. We’ll look into this and get back to you on the topic as soon as possible.

This is a GREAT IDEA!

I hope you do not forget to support the windows 10 timeline, it is a feature that I use a lot on the old Edge, the new logo was very good, I would like to ask also a way to turn off the zoom of the pages, using the touchpad sometimes I give involuntary zoom in the pages, if there was a lock it would not
I've been using Firefox for a while now and it wasn't until I tried out the latest Edge insider build, that I noticed that scrolling with a mouse wheel is really unpleasant when compared to Firefox. I fired up Chrome, (old) Edge and IE11 and found that all of these browsers have really "clunky" and visually jarring scrolling when using the mouse wheel. Now that I'm used to the smooth scrolling of Firefox, I'm not sure that I can go back!
I would also like to echo the comments above r.e. Google integration. I like to think that I can trust Microsoft with my data, more so than Google. This trust may be misplaced (another discussion entirely), but if I can sign in to Edge with my Google account, then I may as well bypass Edge and use Chrome. If I am part of the Google ecosystem, Chrome will offer me the best integration across their portfolio, so why would I switch to Edge?

@David Rubino 

1 - the browser is crushing a lot in some websites and some chrome extensions like ( Imagus ), and some vs code extensions like ( live server )

2 - the show icon only option in favorite bar, work only a few minutes, and icons come back with the title, this is a troublesome problem

@David Rubino 

Tip: In the final release publish Edge on the Microsoft Store.

@David Rubino 

the request for inking is about 6 months old.

We did ask for ALL Edge html features to be ported and that does include inking

Who decided to move the extension icons? It's another destructive change that only add support costs and provides zero value

Focus on porting the Edge functionallity so that we get a usable browser instead.

And do add the broken touchkeyboard too the known list. It's embarrassing that Edge doesn't work on a MS Surface

Hi @David Rubino , im pretty sure a lot of ppl have the same issue like me.

When i try download a file larger than ~30mb i get crash.

Regards.

@David Rubino 

Scrolling with 2 fingers using touchpad is too fast. It is not the same as in classic edge and flags "Smooth Scrolling" and "Microsoft Edge scrolling personality" doesn't help.
What is more it is not infuenced by the windows 10 settings. The sensitivity, number of rows to scroll does not have any infuence on chromium version while in classic edge version the changes are clearly seen.
Do you have any advices?

P.s. I use Canary edition, touchpad driver: Elan Touchpad 11.4.92.1_X64_WHQL

@Eronat 

@Eronat wrote:

@David Rubino 

Tip: In the final release publish Edge on the Microsoft Store.

I like this too.

users will have options to either download from store or from Microsoft website.

but there is a catch, there will be 2 update servers.

the store version will have to rely on Windows store to receive updates while the standalone version will rely on Microsoft servers for updates.

so as long as Microsoft keeps both of those versions synchronized and release updates to both versions at the same time with no delay, then that will be fine.

@Peter Taylor 

@Peter Taylor wrote:
I would also like to echo the comments above r.e. Google integration. I like to think that I can trust Microsoft with my data, more so than Google. This trust may be misplaced (another discussion entirely), but if I can sign in to Edge with my Google account, then I may as well bypass Edge and use Chrome. If I am part of the Google ecosystem, Chrome will offer me the best integration across their portfolio, so why would I switch to Edge?

So TRUE!

@Peter Taylor 

Couldn't have said it better myself. Who's idea was to integrate Google login? That person should uninstall Edge and start using Chrome. NOBODY will ever switch to Edge just because they could login with their Google account. If Microsoft actually implements this, it will be a huge embarrassment for everyone involved. Every browser is using a different account (Opera, Firefox, Vivaldi etc), why not Edge?

@David Rubino 

Please don't do this, many of us are trying to have a life without Google (or at least as little as possible).

Hi,

When PC turn off screen or sleep after back edge is black windows, nothing to do.

Daw.

@David Rubino